Hello,
I have a question on the index tables on the Antenati site.
I'm looking in the Palermo index and the book references each record with numbers which look like an entry and page number. Are these full records in the book accessible on this site? The reason I ask is that the indici decennali include later years not available when searching the scanned record images.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Denise
Here's an example:
Antenati - indici decennali
Antenati - indici decennali
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- parkergambino
- Elite

- Posts: 327
- Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 17:28
Re: Antenati - indici decennali
<r>Hi Denise,<br/>
<br/>
The good news is that images of the actual records are available. <br/>
<br/>
The bad news is that Palermo geography is complex, "greater Palermo" being divided up into neighborhoods/parishes that each kept records in separate indexes. Knowing where in Palermo an event took place will help in your searching.<br/>
<br/>
Some of the 10-year death indexes (and perhaps others, I haven't checked many) have helpful resources on the first pages, before the death records begin. Let's see if these links work:<br/>
<br/>
First is the key to decoding the record to identify the correct individual:<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... <LINK_TEXT text="http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0">http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... NK_TEXT><e>[/url]</e></URL><br/>
<br/>
The birth and marriage indexes are formatted in a similar manner. The marriage indexes also include the spouse at the end of the line.<br/>
<br/>
Then there is finding the correct location (index for the correct parish/neighborhood) of the recorded document:<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... <LINK_TEXT text="http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0">http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... NK_TEXT><e>[/url]</e></URL><br/>
<br/>
My experience with figuring out volume numbers and such, especially in the more well-populated portions of Palermo, is limited, so I can't be too helpful beyond this point. I have noticed that sometimes the 10-year index indicates that the record will be in one volume, but I instead find it in the volume that corresponds to where the person lived (rather than where the event took place). Hopefully others in the forum can provide additional guidance. <br/>
<br/>
Parker</r>
<br/>
The good news is that images of the actual records are available. <br/>
<br/>
The bad news is that Palermo geography is complex, "greater Palermo" being divided up into neighborhoods/parishes that each kept records in separate indexes. Knowing where in Palermo an event took place will help in your searching.<br/>
<br/>
Some of the 10-year death indexes (and perhaps others, I haven't checked many) have helpful resources on the first pages, before the death records begin. Let's see if these links work:<br/>
<br/>
First is the key to decoding the record to identify the correct individual:<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... <LINK_TEXT text="http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0">http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... NK_TEXT><e>[/url]</e></URL><br/>
<br/>
The birth and marriage indexes are formatted in a similar manner. The marriage indexes also include the spouse at the end of the line.<br/>
<br/>
Then there is finding the correct location (index for the correct parish/neighborhood) of the recorded document:<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... <LINK_TEXT text="http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0">http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... NK_TEXT><e>[/url]</e></URL><br/>
<br/>
My experience with figuring out volume numbers and such, especially in the more well-populated portions of Palermo, is limited, so I can't be too helpful beyond this point. I have noticed that sometimes the 10-year index indicates that the record will be in one volume, but I instead find it in the volume that corresponds to where the person lived (rather than where the event took place). Hopefully others in the forum can provide additional guidance. <br/>
<br/>
Parker</r>
