Prison records from 1830?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
cportante
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 47
Joined: 05 Nov 2016, 14:55

Prison records from 1830?

Post by cportante »

Ciao a tutti!

Does anyone have an idea how I might be able to obtain prison records (or court records) from 1830? It appears, based on his daughter's marriage record and his death record, that my 5GGF (if I have ID'd him correctly -- only about 75% sure at this point) committed murder and was sentenced to prison at Castellammare di Stabia. He died in the hospital there.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide!

cportante
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Prison records from 1830?

Post by Italysearcher »

The court case records should be at the Archivio di Stato.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
cportante
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 47
Joined: 05 Nov 2016, 14:55

Re: Prison records from 1830?

Post by cportante »

Thank you. Would that be the Archivio di Stato in the area where the crime was committed AND where he served the time? The crime was likely committee near the city of Reggio Calabria, so I assume the case file would be in the Archivio there, but I don't want to assume that.

Do you happen to know of anyone requesting and successfully obtaining such an old case?

Thanks again!
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Prison records from 1830?

Post by Italysearcher »

Naples has the names indexed but not in any particular order. When I got the folder I couldn't find the record itself. I don't know if the archive staff will search for this for you (Naples wouldn't)
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Post Reply