Milan/Bergamo
- kehlkehl1013
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 30 Mar 2018, 03:48
Milan/Bergamo
I am looking for the ancestry of Maria Corti and Francesco Telesca. Here is what I know:
Francesco and Maria had a daugher, Clelia, in Sarconi (Potenza) in 1895. At some point the family sailed from Italy to Brazil. In 1912, I found the family sailing from Brazil to New York, USA. The birthplace listed for Maria was "Bergamia." I believe that the scribe meant Bergamo. I also have been told that Clelia's grandmother (possibly Maria's mother?) was a contessa in Milan/Bergamo. The Contessa's given name was Aida/Aieda.
My first goal is to locate the birth record for Maria Corti. I have used Family Search and Antenati, but cannot find any actual records prior to 1866, and according to her age on the ship manifest, she would have been born about 1856.
My second goal is to figure out exactly who Aida is, where she lived and whether there is any truth to the story of nobility in the family.
Where do I go next? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Francesco and Maria had a daugher, Clelia, in Sarconi (Potenza) in 1895. At some point the family sailed from Italy to Brazil. In 1912, I found the family sailing from Brazil to New York, USA. The birthplace listed for Maria was "Bergamia." I believe that the scribe meant Bergamo. I also have been told that Clelia's grandmother (possibly Maria's mother?) was a contessa in Milan/Bergamo. The Contessa's given name was Aida/Aieda.
My first goal is to locate the birth record for Maria Corti. I have used Family Search and Antenati, but cannot find any actual records prior to 1866, and according to her age on the ship manifest, she would have been born about 1856.
My second goal is to figure out exactly who Aida is, where she lived and whether there is any truth to the story of nobility in the family.
Where do I go next? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Surnames: Iosue, Martino, Mezzacappa, Lariccia, Pietracatella, Coccaro, Gagliardi, Pannitto, Nasella, Grappoli, Cirucci, Naimo, di Lallo.
Towns: Monacilioni
Towns: Monacilioni
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Milan/Bergamo
Marriage Publication No 1 Part II 1886 Avigliano: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
Marriage Act No 5: Francesco Telesca and Maria Paola Cesira Corti
Armento (Potenza): 8 July 1886
Groom: Francesco Telesca, 30 yo, Insegnante (Teacher), born in Avigliano, residing Avigliano, son of the deceased Emmanuele and the deceased Maria Filomena Cascia, who both resided in Avigliano when living.
Bride: Maria Paola Cesira Corti, 30 yo, Insegnante (Teacher), born in Bergamo, residing in Armento, daughter of the deceased Leone, who resided in Bergamo when living, and of Catterina Bettoni, who was residing in Brescia.
You can see that Francesco and Maria have both signed their names at the base of the record.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
Re Francesco and Maria's children, I was able locate 8 as follows:
1887, No 31: Clelia Filomena Caterina
1889, No 11 Emmanuele Leone
1890, No 36 Guido Giustino, Antonio
1892, No 28, Ada, Nicoletta, Lucia
1894, No 9, Guido
1895, No 8, Clelia Caterina Filomena
1897, No 31, Guido Giustino Antonio
1901, No 31 Itala, Annita, Elise
Most of these children were born in Sarconi. .
Angela
Marriage Act No 5: Francesco Telesca and Maria Paola Cesira Corti
Armento (Potenza): 8 July 1886
Groom: Francesco Telesca, 30 yo, Insegnante (Teacher), born in Avigliano, residing Avigliano, son of the deceased Emmanuele and the deceased Maria Filomena Cascia, who both resided in Avigliano when living.
Bride: Maria Paola Cesira Corti, 30 yo, Insegnante (Teacher), born in Bergamo, residing in Armento, daughter of the deceased Leone, who resided in Bergamo when living, and of Catterina Bettoni, who was residing in Brescia.
You can see that Francesco and Maria have both signed their names at the base of the record.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
Re Francesco and Maria's children, I was able locate 8 as follows:
1887, No 31: Clelia Filomena Caterina
1889, No 11 Emmanuele Leone
1890, No 36 Guido Giustino, Antonio
1892, No 28, Ada, Nicoletta, Lucia
1894, No 9, Guido
1895, No 8, Clelia Caterina Filomena
1897, No 31, Guido Giustino Antonio
1901, No 31 Itala, Annita, Elise
Most of these children were born in Sarconi. .
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Milan/Bergamo
Following on from previous post, here are the links to the births of the children:
1887, No 31: Clelia Filomena Caterina
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1889, No 11 Emmanuele Leone
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1890, No 36 Guido Giustino, Antonio
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1892, No 28, Ada, Nicoletta, Lucia
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1894, No 9, Guido
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1895, No 8, Clelia Caterina Filomena
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1897, No 31, Guido Giustino Antonio
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1901, No 31 Itala, Annita, Elise
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
The Clelia born in 1887, and the two boys named Giudo b. 1890 and 1894 probably all died.
Angela
1887, No 31: Clelia Filomena Caterina
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1889, No 11 Emmanuele Leone
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1890, No 36 Guido Giustino, Antonio
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1892, No 28, Ada, Nicoletta, Lucia
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1894, No 9, Guido
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1895, No 8, Clelia Caterina Filomena
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1897, No 31, Guido Giustino Antonio
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
1901, No 31 Itala, Annita, Elise
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547
The Clelia born in 1887, and the two boys named Giudo b. 1890 and 1894 probably all died.
Angela
- kehlkehl1013
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 30 Mar 2018, 03:48
Re: Milan/Bergamo
Wow, Angela! Thank you!
How did you know where to look?
How did you know where to look?
Surnames: Iosue, Martino, Mezzacappa, Lariccia, Pietracatella, Coccaro, Gagliardi, Pannitto, Nasella, Grappoli, Cirucci, Naimo, di Lallo.
Towns: Monacilioni
Towns: Monacilioni
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Milan/Bergamo
Hi there
I knew that Telesca wasn't a Sarconi name but that I had seen it before in the Province of Potenza. I decided to look for other children born to this couple to establish approximately when they were married and to glean any other info that I might find from other birth records. From some of the birth records I learned that Francesco's father was Emmanuele and that Maria's father was Leone. I also saw in one of the birth records that Francesco was living in Avigliano. I had altready checked where the name Telesca appeared in Italia, and Avigliano was one of the places. (I think I already knew that anyway from other research in the town.) Eventhough the name Corti also appears in Avigliano, because you wern't 100% sure where Maria was born, I decided to go for the Marriage Bann in Avigliano first. (Marriage Banns are usually posted in the Groom's town of birth as well as the bride's.) Marriage Banns/Marriage Records are great because they give you so much information about the prospective bride and groom. From the marriage bann I saw where to look for the marriage record. You might like to post the Marriage Publication that I have posted here for translation on the Translation Forum here on IG. I haven't really had a close look at it. There might be more information in it.
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Birth Record: Francesco Telesca
Birth Record No 245: Francesco Telesca
Registered Avigliano 2 April 1856
Born 1 April 1856
Father: Emmanuele Telesca, son of D.(Don) Francesco (Telesca), 28 yo, Sartore (Tailor), living in Avigliano.
Mother: D. (Donna) Maria Filomena Cascia, Emmanuele's wife, 19 yo, living Avigliano.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html
There are some really good records online at both the antenati site and Family Search for the town of Avigliano. The only problem with the ones that I have looked at online at the antenati site is that they are completely out of order. Hopefully not all the records are like this.
Angela
Registered Avigliano 2 April 1856
Born 1 April 1856
Father: Emmanuele Telesca, son of D.(Don) Francesco (Telesca), 28 yo, Sartore (Tailor), living in Avigliano.
Mother: D. (Donna) Maria Filomena Cascia, Emmanuele's wife, 19 yo, living Avigliano.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html
There are some really good records online at both the antenati site and Family Search for the town of Avigliano. The only problem with the ones that I have looked at online at the antenati site is that they are completely out of order. Hopefully not all the records are like this.
Angela
- kehlkehl1013
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 30 Mar 2018, 03:48
Re: Milan/Bergamo
Thank you! I'm always trying to become a better researcher. 
Surnames: Iosue, Martino, Mezzacappa, Lariccia, Pietracatella, Coccaro, Gagliardi, Pannitto, Nasella, Grappoli, Cirucci, Naimo, di Lallo.
Towns: Monacilioni
Towns: Monacilioni
- kehlkehl1013
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 30 Mar 2018, 03:48
Re: Milan/Bergamo
One more question:
According to the marriage record you posted, Maria Corti would be born approximately 1856 in Bergamo. Do you know where I can find a birth record from that year? All I can find is from 1866 forward.
Thanks!
According to the marriage record you posted, Maria Corti would be born approximately 1856 in Bergamo. Do you know where I can find a birth record from that year? All I can find is from 1866 forward.
Thanks!
Surnames: Iosue, Martino, Mezzacappa, Lariccia, Pietracatella, Coccaro, Gagliardi, Pannitto, Nasella, Grappoli, Cirucci, Naimo, di Lallo.
Towns: Monacilioni
Towns: Monacilioni
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Milan/Bergamo
That rights she would have been born circa 1856. As you say there are no civil records online prior to 1866 for the town of Bergamo that I can see. I've taken a look at the catalogue and it doesn't look like LDS filmed any before 1866 for whatever reason? Maybe you could try writing to the town and asking for her birth record. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out with the correct address to write to and help draft up a letter, if you are unable to write Italian.kehlkehl1013 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 00:32 One more question:
According to the marriage record you posted, Maria Corti would be born approximately 1856 in Bergamo. Do you know where I can find a birth record from that year? All I can find is from 1866 forward.
Thanks!
Here is the Marriage record for Emmanuele Telesca and Maria Filomena Cascia:
Marriage No 50: Emmanuele Telesca and Maria Filomena Cascia
Avigliano: 29 March 1855
Church Marriage: Carmine, 29 March 1855 (Santa Maria del Carmine)
Groom: Emmanuele Telesca, maggiore (reached age of maturity), 26 yo, born in Avigliano, Sartore (tailor), living Avigliano, son of D. Francesco Telesca, Proprietario (Landowner), living in Avigliano and of the deceased D. Nicoletta Palomba.
Bride: D. Maria Filomena Cascia, minore (not yet reached the age of maturity), age 16, born in Avigliano, living in Avigliano, daughter of the deceased D. Pasquale Cascia and the deceased D. Emmanuela Pacella, living Strada Piazza, without number.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 8.jpg.html
I've located the processetti (marriage attachments) for this marriage and will post shortly. It will help take you back further on the Telesca strand.
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Processetti: Marriage of Emmanuele Telesca and Maria Filomena Cascia
Emmanuele and Maria's Marriage Allegati (attachments) begin here with the cover sheet:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html
Followed by:
Birth Extract No 210: Emmanuele Telesca
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1838 Birth Extract No 281: Maria Filomena Cascia
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1838 Death Extract No 372: D. Nicoletta Palomba (mother of Emmanuele Telesca)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1854 Death Extract No 106: D. Pasquale Cascia (father of Maria Filomena Cascia)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1827 Death Extract No 570: Gerardo Cascia (Paternal Grandfather of Maria Filomena Cascia)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1854 Death Extract No 86: D. Emmanuela Pacella (Mother of Maria Filomena Cascia)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
followed by some other routine records.
These would have to be the best allegati I've seen in a while. If you don't read Italian, I suggest you post the links to the records on separate threads over a few days, on the Translations Forum, and we can just chip away at them. The best way to do this is to give each record posted a title, e.g. "1827 Death Extract: Gerardo Cascia" That's way it is clearer all round and we know that there is no duplication of records, etc. You may also wish to look for the original records, which is what I always do with my own records, because sometimes I have found clerical error in the extracts.
Angela
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html
Followed by:
Birth Extract No 210: Emmanuele Telesca
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1838 Birth Extract No 281: Maria Filomena Cascia
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1838 Death Extract No 372: D. Nicoletta Palomba (mother of Emmanuele Telesca)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1854 Death Extract No 106: D. Pasquale Cascia (father of Maria Filomena Cascia)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1827 Death Extract No 570: Gerardo Cascia (Paternal Grandfather of Maria Filomena Cascia)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1854 Death Extract No 86: D. Emmanuela Pacella (Mother of Maria Filomena Cascia)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
followed by some other routine records.
These would have to be the best allegati I've seen in a while. If you don't read Italian, I suggest you post the links to the records on separate threads over a few days, on the Translations Forum, and we can just chip away at them. The best way to do this is to give each record posted a title, e.g. "1827 Death Extract: Gerardo Cascia" That's way it is clearer all round and we know that there is no duplication of records, etc. You may also wish to look for the original records, which is what I always do with my own records, because sometimes I have found clerical error in the extracts.
Angela
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Milan/Bergamo
Knowing where to look is half the battle. My latest blog post will tell you how to know where to look. The people on this site are great but they don't often share their secrets, just the records they had fun finding for you.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Milan/Bergamo
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 01:57Well this is a great site to learn about Italian research and strengthen your research skills. There are many gifted genealogists on this site happy to share their knowledge. Just ask if you need any help or are unsure of something.
That rights she would have been born circa 1856. As you say there are no civil records online prior to 1866 for the town of Bergamo that I can see. I've taken a look at the catalogue and it doesn't look like LDS filmed any before 1866 for whatever reason? Maybe you could try writing to the town and asking for her birth record. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out with the correct address to write to and help draft up a letter, if you are unable to write Italian.kehlkehl1013 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 00:32 One more question:
According to the marriage record you posted, Maria Corti would be born approximately 1856 in Bergamo. Do you know where I can find a birth record from that year? All I can find is from 1866 forward.
Thanks!
Here is the Marriage record for Emmanuele Telesca and Maria Filomena Cascia:
Marriage No 50: Emmanuele Telesca and Maria Filomena Cascia
Avigliano: 29 March 1855
Church Marriage: Carmine, 29 March 1855 (Santa Maria del Carmine)
Groom: Emmanuele Telesca, maggiore (reached age of maturity), 26 yo, born in Avigliano, Sartore (tailor), living Avigliano, son of D. Francesco Telesca, Proprietario (Landowner), living in Avigliano and of the deceased D. Nicoletta Palomba.
Bride: D. Maria Filomena Cascia, minore (not yet reached the age of maturity), age 16, born in Avigliano, living in Avigliano, daughter of the deceased D. Pasquale Cascia and the deceased D. Emmanuela Pacella, living Strada Piazza, without number.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 8.jpg.html
I've located the processetti (marriage attachments) for this marriage and will post shortly. It will help take you back further on the Telesca strand.
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Processetti: Marriage of Emmanuele Telesca and Maria Filomena Cascia
Hi there Kehlkehl1031AngelaGrace56 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 02:53 Emmanuele and Maria's Marriage Allegati (attachments) begin here with the cover sheet:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html
Followed by:
Birth Extract No 210: Emmanuele Telesca
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1838 Birth Extract No 281: Maria Filomena Cascia
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1838 Death Extract No 372: D. Nicoletta Palomba (mother of Emmanuele Telesca)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1854 Death Extract No 106: D. Pasquale Cascia (father of Maria Filomena Cascia)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1827 Death Extract No 570: Gerardo Cascia (Paternal Grandfather of Maria Filomena Cascia)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
1854 Death Extract No 86: D. Emmanuela Pacella (Mother of Maria Filomena Cascia)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
followed by some other routine records.
These would have to be the best allegati I've seen in a while. If you don't read Italian, I suggest you post the links to the records on separate threads over a few days, on the Translations Forum, and we can just chip away at them. The best way to do this is to give each record posted a title, e.g. "1827 Death Extract: Gerardo Cascia" That's way it is clearer all round and we know that there is no duplication of records, etc. You may also wish to look for the original records, which is what I always do with my own records, because sometimes I have found clerical error in the extracts.
Angela
Just following up, and have bumped my last two posts here in case you've not seen them. Just ask if you are not sure of anything. There are plenty of amazing people here happy to help. Hope all is well.
Angela
Re: Milan/Bergamo
Heres email for you send a photo id with request
Comune di Bergamo
Palazzo Frizzoni,
piazza Matteotti, 27 -
24122 Bergamo (BG)
Italy
OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di NAME OF PERSON
Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da TOWN. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : NAME OF PERSON
Nome e cognome del padre: FATHER
Nome di cognome madre: MOTHER
Luogo di nascita: TOWN
Data di nascita: DATE OF BIRTH
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID
Marty
http://www.comune.bergamo.it/servizi/Me ... nto=pagina#
Comune di Bergamo
Palazzo Frizzoni,
piazza Matteotti, 27 -
24122 Bergamo (BG)
Italy
OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di NAME OF PERSON
Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da TOWN. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : NAME OF PERSON
Nome e cognome del padre: FATHER
Nome di cognome madre: MOTHER
Luogo di nascita: TOWN
Data di nascita: DATE OF BIRTH
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID
Marty
http://www.comune.bergamo.it/servizi/Me ... nto=pagina#
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty