I am gathering records for an application of citizenship jure sanguinis and it is coming through my paternal great-grandfather. I have his records when he got here to the United States but tracking down the birth certificate and marriage certificate in Italy are slightly dicey.
It is complicated because all of the records definitely say he was from Italy and list Italian citizenship. Ancestry.com also has his parents from Italy. But some records say that he was born in Marseille France. My best guess is that it is possible that he was born while his parents were returning to Italy? Either way, he lived in the province of Frossinone and is seems like the town of Cassino. I found a record that may be his there but can't be sure. Does anyone 1) know if they would have had to report his brith to Italy (and where to) if he was indeed born in Marseille or 2) if some of the records that say he was born in Italy are right, had any luck getting records out of Cassino?
Next project will be the marriage certificate! Thank you!!
Locating Grandfather's Birth Certificate (Possibly Born outside Italy)
-
tag_wolverine
- Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: 26 Mar 2019, 13:25
- Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Locating Grandfather's Birth Certificate (Possibly Born outside Italy)
Dates?
Parents names?
Spouse in Italy and approximate date?
T.
Parents names?
Spouse in Italy and approximate date?
T.
-
tag_wolverine
- Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: 26 Mar 2019, 13:25
- Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Locating Grandfather's Birth Certificate (Possibly Born outside Italy)
So what I have found since posting:
Great-grandfather = Andrew (Andrea) Vettese (b. 21 Nov 1885)
Married Saveria (Sadie) miele on 20 Oct 1904. Saveria was born in Sant'Elia, Italy on 27 July 1883. They both listed Sant'Elia as their last residence on their arrival documentation so it is possible that Sant'Elia Fiumerapido (Frosinone) is where they were married.
Andrea's parents were Raffael Vettese and Francesca Lanni
I found a military record that says Andrea might have been born in Nantes France, not Marseille. Though he then lists Cassino and Frosinone on other records. It looks like he might have had a brother born five years after him in Caserta. So I'm tracking a long pathway.
Thank you all so much for your help!
Great-grandfather = Andrew (Andrea) Vettese (b. 21 Nov 1885)
Married Saveria (Sadie) miele on 20 Oct 1904. Saveria was born in Sant'Elia, Italy on 27 July 1883. They both listed Sant'Elia as their last residence on their arrival documentation so it is possible that Sant'Elia Fiumerapido (Frosinone) is where they were married.
Andrea's parents were Raffael Vettese and Francesca Lanni
I found a military record that says Andrea might have been born in Nantes France, not Marseille. Though he then lists Cassino and Frosinone on other records. It looks like he might have had a brother born five years after him in Caserta. So I'm tracking a long pathway.
Thank you all so much for your help!
Re: Locating Grandfather's Birth Certificate (Possibly Born outside Italy)
I think your best approach would be to look for Andrea and Saveria's marriage certificate first. This should tell you where he was born. I looked through the Cassino records, and while all of the surnames exist, there is not birth record for Andrea or a possible brother within a 5+ year span where the parents are listed as Raffaele and Francesca Lanni. Based on Sant'Elia being listed on the passenger manifest, it appears that Andrea and Saveria were married in Sant'Elia Fiumerapido. Sometimes the Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio has additional information about your lineage, but I don't see that those records (if they exist) have been filmed. Andrea would have had to produce proof of who he was including his parentage as part of his marriage.
Re: Locating Grandfather's Birth Certificate (Possibly Born outside Italy)
I have search the Sant'Elia Fiumerapido births and did not find a record for Andrea. However, I did find his siblings
1. 5 Dec 1878 - Antonia
2. 11 Dec 1880 - Loreto
3. 10 Oct 1882 - Gaetano
4. 27 Sep 1886 - Anna Maria
The marriage records from 1904 are not online. You can write to town and request the marriage extract. At least this confirms the presence of the family in Sant'Elia Fiumerapido.
1. 5 Dec 1878 - Antonia
2. 11 Dec 1880 - Loreto
3. 10 Oct 1882 - Gaetano
4. 27 Sep 1886 - Anna Maria
The marriage records from 1904 are not online. You can write to town and request the marriage extract. At least this confirms the presence of the family in Sant'Elia Fiumerapido.
