As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Hi Nuccia and Marisa, the webpage is not a my webpage, but is in the web for war memory and war victims memory; in my experience I found many interesting links, especially about italian surname birthplaces, italian victims in the wars, italian emigrations
This is all great. Thankyou so much - I am learning more since I've been watching this forum than in the last twenty years of reading and asking my family!
Don't worry about webpages being in Italian. In common with many people of Italian descent through the world, I can understand a lot of written and spoken Italian - I just can't speak much Italian. Figure that out if you can
Thank you all so much for all of this information. I can't tell you how much fun I am having
My great great grandparents were also Domenico Forte and Francesca Matassa. My great grandparents were Giovanni Forte and Maria Teresa Forte, who were the parents of my grandfather Alfonso Francesco. My father was called Aquilino, and all came from Mortale, Casalattico, where lots of cousins now own the ancestral home.