Need help obtaining father's certified birth certificate from Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 122
Joined: 12 Dec 2010, 13:29

Need help obtaining father's certified birth certificate from Italy

Post by Josie07M11 »

Hello everyone,

I am looking to apply for my Italian citizenship jure sanguinis through my father who was born in Ramacca, Catania. I know that I need to contact the Comune di Ramacca for this certificate, but I am confused about the process of obtaining a certified copy.

I read a blog article that states that I need to write to the comune via mail and not email.

If I do need to supply a self-addressed and stamped return envelope what is the best way to do this from the United States? (it seems obtaining international stamps that would be valid to send from Italy is difficult).

The blog I refer to - https://wehavekids.com/family-relations ... From-Italy

My father was born in the 1950s so his record is definitely not available online or for public access, so I will of course provide copies of my ID but will I also need to provide evidence of my relationship to him?

Thank you!
User avatar
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite
Posts: 398
Joined: 03 Jun 2014, 20:05
Location: California

Re: Need help obtaining father's certified birth certificate from Italy

Post by TerraLavoro »

You would need to write (try email first) to the stato civile office of the comune... here's a link to the contact information:

http://ramacca.comunelive.it/cms_uffici ... x?58*0*0*0

Is your father still alive? If so, it might be better if he requested the certificate himself, considering privacy laws.

In general, the consulates require the certification of the birth to be in the form of an estratto per riassunto dell'atto di nascita.

Provide a scan of an ID, and ask if they require any reimbursement for postage. If you are lucky, they may send it to you free of charge.
TerraLavoro
User avatar
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 122
Joined: 12 Dec 2010, 13:29

Re: Need help obtaining father's certified birth certificate from Italy

Post by Josie07M11 »

Yes he is still living it just would be much easier if I could it myself. Of course, I will ask him if the Comune is hesitant to help me. 😊 Thank you
User avatar
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite
Posts: 398
Joined: 03 Jun 2014, 20:05
Location: California

Re: Need help obtaining father's certified birth certificate from Italy

Post by TerraLavoro »

Ok, let us know how you make out.
TerraLavoro
User avatar
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 122
Joined: 12 Dec 2010, 13:29

Re: Need help obtaining father's certified birth certificate from Italy

Post by Josie07M11 »

TerraLavoro wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 23:23 Ok, let us know how you make out.
Good news! They responded to my email:

In data odierna e' stato spedito l'estratto atto di nascita plurilingue di [my father's name] nato a Ramacca il [my father's birth date].

This is the email I sent, for anyone in the future who might look at this message and need some help:

Email: statocivile@comunediramacca.it
Email subject: Richiesta per il certificato di nascita di mio padre

Body of email:

A chi di competenza,

Ai fini dell'ottenimento della cittadinanza italiana jure sanguinis, io sottoscritta [Your full name], nata a [Your birth place, identical to what is on your ID] il [Your birth date] residente in [Your town and country of residence] richiedo cortesemente copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di mio padre:

Cognome e nome: [Name of your relative]
Data di nascita: [Birth date]
Luogo di nascita: [Name of the comune and country of their birth]
Padre: [Your relative's father's name]Last Name, First Name
Madre: [His relative's mother's name] Last Name, First Name

Ti sarei grato se potessi inviarmi un riassunto del certificato di nascita. Sono felice di inviare il pagamento per questo servizio. Il mio indirizzo è [Your full address].

Per verificare la mia identità, ho allegato le seguenti copie:
- Il mio certificato di nascita, che mostra la mia relazione con mio padre [Name of your relative . Because my birth certificate was in English I made sure to point out the translation] (in inglese "Bob")
- Copia del mio passaporto
- Fotocopia dei certificati di nascita di mio padre forniti dal Comune di Ramacca [I was lucky to already have a copies from the Comune of his birth records, I think if you have anything like this it helps to include it.]

Distinti saluti,
[Your first name]

Rough Translation:

Email: statocivile@comunediramacca.it
Email subject: Request for my father's birth certificate

To those in charge,

For the purposes of obtaining Italian citizenship jure sanguinis, I, the undersigned [Your full name], born in [Your birth place, identical to what is on your ID] on [Your birth date] residing in [Your town and country of residence][/color], kindly request a full copy of my father's birth certificate:

Surname and name: [Name of your relative]
Date of birth: [Birth date]
Place of birth: [Name of the comune and country of their birth]
Father: [Your relative's father's name]Last Name, First Name
Mother: [His relative's mother's name] Last Name, First Name

I would be grateful if you could send me a summary of the birth certificate. I am happy to send payment for this service. My address is [Your full address].

To verify my identity, I have attached the following copies:
- My birth certificate, which shows my relationship with my father [Name of your relative. Because my birth certificate was in English I made sure to point out the translation] (in English "Bob")
- Copy of my passport
- Photocopy of my father's birth certificates provided by the Municipality of Ramacca

With best regards,
[Your first name]

Other Tips:

- Date Format I used: 1 January, 1900
- Name Formats: Last Name, First Name (except when introducing yourself, and closing off the email)
User avatar
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite
Posts: 398
Joined: 03 Jun 2014, 20:05
Location: California

Re: Need help obtaining father's certified birth certificate from Italy

Post by TerraLavoro »

That was a very speedy reply! Good luck going forward with your application.
TerraLavoro
Post Reply