Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Hi,
My wife is descended from Giovanni / John Peperoni, born in 1870 or 1871 in Genoa (?). I have no detail of his emigration to the UK and his father may have been called John Kaiser Peperoni but there is no record of him arriving in the UK. I am presuming he sailed from Genoa to Liverpool and then settled in Sheffield.
The first UK record of the son John is in the 1891 census living at 30 Smithfield, Sheffied in the Cassinelli household as a lodger. He was a ice cream seller. He married Mary Ann Lockton in 1893 in Emmanuel Church Sheffield. Later the family moved to Wath upon Dearne and John worked down the colliery.
I am struggling to find any information about his emigration and the Italian birth certificates of the two John's. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
My wife is descended from Giovanni / John Peperoni, born in 1870 or 1871 in Genoa (?). I have no detail of his emigration to the UK and his father may have been called John Kaiser Peperoni but there is no record of him arriving in the UK. I am presuming he sailed from Genoa to Liverpool and then settled in Sheffield.
The first UK record of the son John is in the 1891 census living at 30 Smithfield, Sheffied in the Cassinelli household as a lodger. He was a ice cream seller. He married Mary Ann Lockton in 1893 in Emmanuel Church Sheffield. Later the family moved to Wath upon Dearne and John worked down the colliery.
I am struggling to find any information about his emigration and the Italian birth certificates of the two John's. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Hi,tonyt071 wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 13:45 Hi,
My wife is descended from Giovanni / John Peperoni, born in 1870 or 1871 in Genoa (?). I have no detail of his emigration to the UK and his father may have been called John Kaiser Peperoni but there is no record of him arriving in the UK. I am presuming he sailed from Genoa to Liverpool and then settled in Sheffield.
The first UK record of the son John is in the 1891 census living at 30 Smithfield, Sheffied in the Cassinelli household as a lodger. He was a ice cream seller. He married Mary Ann Lockton in 1893 in Emmanuel Church Sheffield. Later the family moved to Wath upon Dearne and John worked down the colliery.
I am struggling to find any information about his emigration and the Italian birth certificates of the two John's. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
I cannot help abt the emigration, but I found your John Peperone, and I am sure that is right person, because this surname is very but very rare really.
Giovanni Antonio Peperone was born in Levaggi hamlet of Borzonasca municipality (Genova province, Liguria region, IT) on 2 May 1870 #58, son of Domenica Curotto widow of Lottero(?) Peperone, deceased on the last days of March 1870
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911346
Hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Suanj
Thank you so much, I am looking at the document in wonderment. Thank you for your translation. I started this search 4 months ago, the UK bit was easy and I never thought I would make the first Italian step, I thought the surname would be different. In terms of what I can expect next I guess I am looking where the archives of Borzonasca are kept - the church seems to be St Bartholomew?
Thank you again
Thank you so much, I am looking at the document in wonderment. Thank you for your translation. I started this search 4 months ago, the UK bit was easy and I never thought I would make the first Italian step, I thought the surname would be different. In terms of what I can expect next I guess I am looking where the archives of Borzonasca are kept - the church seems to be St Bartholomew?
Thank you again
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Peperone Lotero was a foundling, son of unknown parents, "esposto" of the Genua Hospital. He died, age 37, on March 27, 1870
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911346
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1911346
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Thank you very much - foundlings (abandoned child) in Genoa hospital, hence unknown parents? Hence an assigned surname?
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Happy to help you... No surname's secrets for me! I love the hard search with zero replies. Zero replies means hard search!tonyt071 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 19:47 Suanj
Thank you so much, I am looking at the document in wonderment. Thank you for your translation. I started this search 4 months ago, the UK bit was easy and I never thought I would make the first Italian step, I thought the surname would be different. In terms of what I can expect next I guess I am looking where the archives of Borzonasca are kept - the church seems to be St Bartholomew?
Thank you again
When I read your topic, with zero replies,I wanted to help you and immediately I thinked abt Borzonasca...I already made search in this area and I was sure to find your ancestor.....
Best,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Yes, exactly thattonyt071 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 22:05 Thank you very much - foundlings (abandoned child) in Genoa hospital, hence unknown parents? Hence an assigned surname?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Thank you both very much
Regarding the emigration, in 1891 Giovanni is a boarder in the household of Antonio Cassinelli with Dominick Spinetto and 16 other Italians in Sheffield, Yorkshire -
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/s ... sePUB=true
Mezzanego boarders Borzonesca. Could they have emigrated together and how might I trace that possibility please?
Secondly, how can I fully translate the two scripts please and others I may collect?
Regarding the emigration, in 1891 Giovanni is a boarder in the household of Antonio Cassinelli with Dominick Spinetto and 16 other Italians in Sheffield, Yorkshire -
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/s ... sePUB=true
Mezzanego boarders Borzonesca. Could they have emigrated together and how might I trace that possibility please?
Secondly, how can I fully translate the two scripts please and others I may collect?
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Hi,
you can insert the translation request in the appropriate forum of Italiangenealogy:
Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Abt the census, yes I know, abt the arrival or same arrival with Cassinelli, I don't know any helpful database on line abt that..
best regards,
suanj
you can insert the translation request in the appropriate forum of Italiangenealogy:
Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Abt the census, yes I know, abt the arrival or same arrival with Cassinelli, I don't know any helpful database on line abt that..
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Hi Suanj, can I ask why you immediately thought of Borzonesca - btw I am very grateful you did! Also only your translation pinpoints Thank you
In your research have you found any detail about the name CUROTTO?
Many thanks Tony
In your research have you found any detail about the name CUROTTO?
Many thanks Tony
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
I thought Borzonasca because I remembered the surname, bizarre, and having read many Borzonasca civil records, I would say almost all for a research carried out here, on IG, I thought Borzonasca precisely, but I wasn't sure. Then I looked just to see another input, and found it, and I knew it was Borzonasca…
you see Zelinda immigrated in USA.. maybe a relative of your, who know?
First Name : Zelinda
Last Name : Peperoni
Nationality : Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence : Borzonasla, Genova
Date of Arrival : November 1st, 1920
Age at Arrival : 20y
Gender : Female
Marital Status : Single
Ship of Travel : Regina d Italia
Port of Departure : Genova
Manifest Line Number : 0028
the birthplace is misspelled , but readable, and then I searched in the civil records.
The good genealogist research with passion!
Best,
suanj
you see Zelinda immigrated in USA.. maybe a relative of your, who know?
First Name : Zelinda
Last Name : Peperoni
Nationality : Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence : Borzonasla, Genova
Date of Arrival : November 1st, 1920
Age at Arrival : 20y
Gender : Female
Marital Status : Single
Ship of Travel : Regina d Italia
Port of Departure : Genova
Manifest Line Number : 0028
the birthplace is misspelled , but readable, and then I searched in the civil records.
The good genealogist research with passion!
Best,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
abt Curotto yes I remember, but Peperone is rare, Curotto no very popular but no very rare, so and so!
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Hi Raffaella
I hope you are well
I sent you an email to - suanj_it@yahoo.it - did you receive it please? Do I have the correct email address?
My email is antony.thurston@gmail.com
Best regards Tony
I hope you are well
I sent you an email to - suanj_it@yahoo.it - did you receive it please? Do I have the correct email address?
My email is antony.thurston@gmail.com
Best regards Tony
Re: Emigration of Giovanni Peperoni to the UK - help please
Oh Tony sorry I read but then I missed to reply you, so many emails and to someone I forgot to reply sorry.. I will reply you later ok?
Regards,
suanj
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH


