Tons of questions regarding my foundling ancestor

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
midnightamethyst
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 26 Jun 2019, 04:14

Tons of questions regarding my foundling ancestor

Post by midnightamethyst »

My great-great-grandfather Sebastiano Passero was a foundling.

His birth is recorded on 20 Jan 1866 in Genova. The record references the Ospizio di Trovatelli and states he is recorded on number 41 of the current registry.
  • Since he is number 151 in the Atti di Nascita, I wonder if the number 41 refers to the registry of the Ospizio. Would these records still exist?
  • Provided records from the Ospizio still exist, would there have been a record of his wet-nurse or the family that he was given to?
  • Would these records also list the church where Sebastiano was baptized?
I realize getting these may mean a trip to Italy, for now I’m just interested in if they exist and where I’d need to go if I ever went to Italy.

Family lore says that for a time he was a soldier in the Italian Cavalry and his name is inscribed on a stone or monument along with others somewhere in Italy. I assume the Italian Cavalry was a part of the Royal Italian Army.
  • Where would I look to find his military records?
  • I realize it may be a fabrication that his name is inscribed on a stone or monument. However, if it was true, why would that have happened and where would it be located?
The Immigration Problem
His naturalization petition lists his birth place as Montoggio.
  • Since I know from his birth record that he was born in Genova, I wonder if he was raised in Montoggio?
  • This record also lists he emigrated from Havre on/about 15 Mar 1892 and arrived at the port of Newark on 1 Apr 1892.
  • Does Havre mean Le Havre, France? Why would he have traveled all that way when there are closer ports?
His naturalization record lists his immigration date as 1 Apr 1892 and port of arrival as New York.
The 1910 census lists his immigration date as 1893.
The 1920 census lists his immigration date as 1873.
  • He would have been 7 if this is correct. However, all other accounts list his immigration as sometime in the 1890s.
There is an Ellis Island arrival record from 14 Apr 1897 listing a Sebastiano Passero, age 29 (birth year 1868) who embarked from Naples.
  • If Sebastiano lived in Montoggio, why would he travel all the way to the other end of the country to Naples to embark for America?
  • Given the age discrepancy and the discrepancy of the immigration dates Sebastiano gives in his naturalization petition and on the censuses, I’m not sure at this time that this Sebastiano Passero is my ancestor.
His church marriage record to Virginia Brizzolara in Chicago lists his adoptive parents as Bartolomaei Moresissi and Antonise Gaviglia. Translating from Latin to Italian, his adoptive parents would be Bartolomeo Moresissi and Antonia Gaviglia.
  • I assume this would have been an informal adoption, not a legal one.
  • Family lore goes that Sebastiano had to work at the age of 6. I am aware this is not unusual for foundlings. Would he have worked for his foster/adoptive parents?
  • Would he have had more than one set of foster/adoptive parents, in the same manner that foster children in America today are passed from family to family?
  • Is there a way to learn more about his foster/adoptive family? Would there be census records? Would Antonia have been his wet-nurse?
Sebastiano died on 14 May 1927 in Chicago.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Tons of questions regarding my foundling ancestor

Post by Tessa78 »

You may wish to read this article about the process of Tracing Italian Lineages of Adoptees and Ancestors Born Outside Marriage

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/articl ... e-marriage

ALSO - on his Declaration of Intent to Naturalize, Sebastiano indicates that he sailed from Genoa, Italy on the "Florio Rubatino." The Florio (Palermo) and Rubatino (Genoa) lines merged in 1881 to form the Navigazione Generale Italiana (NGI). You might want to research the names of ships in that line sailing in 1892.

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Tons of questions regarding my foundling ancestor

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

midnightamethyst wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 06:33 My great-great-grandfather Sebastiano Passero was a foundling.


Family lore says that for a time he was a soldier in the Italian Cavalry and his name is inscribed on a stone or monument along with others somewhere in Italy. I assume the Italian Cavalry was a part of the Royal Italian Army.
  • Where would I look to find his military records?
  • I realize it may be a fabrication that his name is inscribed on a stone or monument. However, if it was true, why would that have happened and where would it be located?
You could email the State Archives of Genova (Archivio di Stato di Genova) for this. Just keep the letter really simple, stating his full name, his Birthdate (the year of birth is very important), and that he was of unknown parents.

In addition to the info that Tessa has already provided, here is another link about Infant Abandonment, which I thought might also be of interest, because it specifically relates to Genova and contains a Certificate from a foundling home there. https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/It ... bandonment

Also I had a quick read through Sebastiano's birth record and I noticed that the following was left with him by his parents: "a piece of black silk wrapped in plain white paper". Sometimes, if parents were hoping to later recognise a baby as their own, they would leave a little something with him. This information would then be included in the Birth Record incase at a later stage the child's parents wanted to claim him.

My understanding from what I read is that the following objects were also found with/on him:

a new cotton shirt trimmed with a floret?
a small sheet of old linen,
a new doubled striped band
two caps (cuffiette) (little hats),
one of white muslin,
the other was cotton garnished with florets?

Angela
Post Reply