Just starting out, a few questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Alexdibacco
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Aug 2019, 20:30

Just starting out, a few questions

Post by Alexdibacco »

Hey all, I'm just starting the process for jure sanguinis, and I have a few questions. I will be using descent from my great-grandfather, and applying through the NYC consulate.

Let me start with the most important question, eligibility. My GGF on the 1930 census was listed as first papers, and the 1940 census was listed as naturalized. My grandfather was born in 1922, and would have been 17 at the oldest when my GGF died, meaning he was a minor when my GGF naturalized. Am I still eligible, because he was born before my GGF naturalized? Or does him being a minor during his father's naturalization affect this?

Assuming everything is good and right, a couple more questions...

GGF: Born 1877 in Italy, married in Italy and had a few children before coming to the US in 1907. His first wife died in 1918, and he was listed in the 1920 census as re-married to my great-grandmother.
Do I need to have marriage papers for his first wife, as well as the death certificate for his first wife? My great grandmother is in the same situation. Her first husband also died in 1918. Do I need to have her first marriage certificate and her first husband's death certificate?

Also, on a lot of these documents, there are different spellings / americanized spellings on documents. Nothing too different, mainly "Peter" instead of "Pietro" or "Nancy" instead of "Nunziata." On my GGF's death cert, they spelled his last name as Di Bocco, instead of DiBacco. According to Pennsylvania law where he lived and died, the death cert cannot be changed unless it's approved by the MD that signed the original cert. I can't imagine that doctor is still alive, seeing as how he signed the form in June of 1940... Will this be a problem with the consulate? Can I use a "one in the same" affidavit?

Thank you all in advance.
Post Reply