Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
How would I go about finding out if recently found family members had children, and also finding out birth/death dates I am new at doing all this. Thank you for any help.
That would depend on the time frame, privacy laws govern access to records, what is the approximate year these newfound family members are expected to appear?
wldspirit
That would depend on the time frame, privacy laws govern access to records, what is the approximate year these newfound family members are expected to appear?
wldspirit
My grandfather came from Italy to Ellis Island with brothers. I don't know where to begin to find out if any had families of their own, and where they live. Thanks.
In what year did your grandfather and his brothers arrive? Do you have names and estimated birthyears? Did they all settle in Canada or did some travel to the US?
If you provide more info and we may be able to locate something for you or at the very least, point you in the right direction.
I believe he landed at Ellis Island in 1923. He was born April 9, 1887. From there I don't know where he went, but he finally ended up in Calgary Alberta, where I believe he died.
I found there were 5 brothers. Ernesto, Ettore, Luigi, Emilio, and Onorio. I would like to get birth certificates and try to find any family members they may have had.
I forgot to mention that Onorio's last name was mispelled. They have it as Fidato instead of Fedato. All born in or nor Signoresa. . Some of the manifests are hard to read.
So Marco was the father of this brothers...correct? There's quite a few listings with this surname in Alberta and BC...have you tried contacting anyone?
By locating a ship manifest you can determine an estimated birthyear, as well as their destination.......depending on the year you can also discover additional infos listed........married, single, profession, ect., ect.,.......
also, here is an excellent tutorial on genealogy research......
Yes, there is a relative in Calgary whom I've spoken to. She was married to one of my grandfather's sons. She doesn't know much as my grandfather didn't speak much about his family. I'd sure like to know how to find out if the brothers had families, and where.