derivative citizenship & 1948 case

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
lgrego
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Jan 2019, 17:37

derivative citizenship & 1948 case

Post by lgrego »

Hello, I've been assembling documentation for a 1948 case through my paternal grandmother, as my aunt remembers helping her study for her citizenship exam in 1945. So I assumed that this is when she became a citizen, after my father and aunt were born. My grandfather naturalized before my father was born. So I thought her naturalization would have been the involuntary kind through marriage (gender-discriminatory), but I think it might have been as a minor through her mother (gender non-discriminatory.)

I have her Certificate of Citizenship and indeed it was issued in August 1945, but reads "having applied to the Commissioner of Immigration and Naturalization for a certificate of citizenship pursuant to Section 339 of the nationality Act of 1940 having proved to the satisfaction of the Commissioner that she is now a citizen of the United States of America, became a citizen thereof on January 19, 1932 and is now in the United States and having taken the prescribed oath of allegiance..."

This seems to say that she became a citizen just a few weeks after arriving. She came in 1932 at the age of 18 to join her mother who had emigrated five years before and married someone we presume was an American citizen, though he was Italian, too.

Am I understanding this right? And if this is the case, would it make a difference if her mother (my great grandmother) was naturalized involuntarily through marriage?

Summary:
Grandmother born 1914 in Italy, immigrated to US in 1932 at age 18
Took citizenship oath in 1945 after having her children but citizenship certificate dates citizenship to 1932, possibly due to her mother having naturalized earlier.

Thanks for helping me sort this out!
Post Reply