Priest Having a Child - 1860s

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
Tanner
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 144
Joined: 04 Jul 2017, 22:47

Priest Having a Child - 1860s

Post by Tanner »

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a more precise transaltion and perhaps some cultural context. Here I have a birth act of a cousin, Giuseppe Giovanni Michele Cirillo. The father is listed as Michele Cirillo, son of Onofrio, who would be my 6x great uncle. Michele is listed as "sacerdote." I understand this to mean priest, so I am confused as to how a priest (in his fifties) would have a child with a woman, Maddalena DeMichele, who is 22 at the time.

This woman is named but she actually isn't called "sua moglie legittima" like most of the other births.

Would it not have been impossible for a Catholic priest to be married and have children legitimately?

Here is the document:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Priest Having a Child - 1860s

Post by Tessa78 »

Michele Cirillo is not the father. He is declaring the birth of a male child born to Maddalena de Michele [ daughter of deceased Don Giovanni], and to Don Onofrio Cirillo, her husband. They are both age 22.

T.
Post Reply