Do I Meet requirements for Italian Citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Evan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 Feb 2020, 06:23

Do I Meet requirements for Italian Citizenship?

Post by Evan »

I am looking in to applying for my Italian citizenship by descent. I will describe my lineage below, please inform me if I am eligible based on what I note below:

Me
Mother (is not an Italian citizen as of now - born after 1948)
Grandmother (an Italian citizen when I was born, but NOT when my mom was born)


My grandmother was born outside of the U.S. and neither lives in the U.S. or is a U.S. Citizen. She is a citizen of the country she resides in though (and an Italian Citizen).

My mother naturalized in the U.S. and is a U.S. citizen. She isn't an Italian citizen.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Do I Meet requirements for Italian Citizenship?

Post by mler »

Your post is a bit confusing. It would be impossible for your gm to be an Italian citizen when you were born but NOT an Italian citizen when your mom was born.

So, assuming your gm was an Italian citizen when your mother was born after 1948, your mother obtained Italian citizenship at that time. However, your mother lost that citizenship when she naturalized.

Were you born before or after her naturalization?
Post Reply