In 1901 - How did grandfather get to Naples from Lattarico in Cosenza

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
GeneTree
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 61
Joined: 03 Aug 2014, 05:34
Location: California

In 1901 - How did grandfather get to Naples from Lattarico in Cosenza

Post by GeneTree »

My wife's great-grandfather Francesco DeCiancio left his Comune di Lattarico, Cosenza in 1901 to take a ship from Naples to New York.

I have his passenger manifest but am wondering how he got to Naples.

I have searched Google for train service from Paolo, Calabria to Naples. I can only find that train service ran from Salerno by 1871.

I can't find if rail service ran in 1901 from Salerno to Paolo. The family has no inkling if he walked, took a carriage or donkey cart, or a train.

I did find that in 1915 a train ran from Cosenza through Lattarico to Paola but not before that time.

30 years ago my cousin took an old train from Rome, through Naples through Paola to Lattarico to visit family. Today, trains run up and down the whole Tyrrhenian coast of Italy.

I would like to complete the chapter of my book on my wife's Italian immigrants and am hoping to get definitive information of his travel to Naples.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: In 1901 - How did grandfather get to Naples from Lattarico in Cosenza

Post by PippoM »

According to this:

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stazione_di_Paola

tha station was opened in 1895, so it was active in 1901; yet, it was connected to Cosenza only in 1915.
Of course, we do not know if your ancestors travelled by train or by cart.
As they were leaving for the journey of their life, I think they had a baggage they could not carry on foot.
I guess they travelled to Paola by cart, and then to Naples by train, but that's just my thought.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Post Reply