Good Morning,
I have been looking at records for an adoptee from Lugnacco, Turin, Piemonte, Italy brought in to my Negri family in Piverone. I have found his birth mother, her sisters and brothers and I see many of these records in this area have the word Pio before them. Was this a blessing given or? What is the meaning of the word Pio. I list a record here to see the usage of the word.
https://www.familysearch.org/records/im ... eView=true
With much gratitude,
Jefferie (jrbak)
Meaning of the word Pio before many names in birth records
Re: Meaning of the word Pio before many names in birth records
Hi Jefferie,
maybe it was some sort of devotion to the Pope, who was, at that time, Pio IX.
maybe it was some sort of devotion to the Pope, who was, at that time, Pio IX.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Meaning of the word Pio before many names in birth records
Dear PippoM,
Perhaps, I see it used for the males as well as females. Thanks,
Jefferie (jrbak)
Perhaps, I see it used for the males as well as females. Thanks,
Jefferie (jrbak)
Re: Meaning of the word Pio before many names in birth records
Hello Jefferie
The wording of the record you posted suggests that the child's name was Maria Maddalena, while Clerico Pio was her surname. The indexes show that in Lugnacco there were the surnames Clerico, Clerico-Torre, and Clerico-Pio (as well as plain Pio)
for example: https://www.familysearch.org/records/im ... eView=true
Ciao
Paola
The wording of the record you posted suggests that the child's name was Maria Maddalena, while Clerico Pio was her surname. The indexes show that in Lugnacco there were the surnames Clerico, Clerico-Torre, and Clerico-Pio (as well as plain Pio)
for example: https://www.familysearch.org/records/im ... eView=true
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
Re: Meaning of the word Pio before many names in birth records
Hello Paola,
Thank you so much for your explanation here. I truly appreciate your help with this. So they used this to differentiate between different Clerico families? Right? Is is interesting. I am sorry I did not thank you before this but I have been so busy researching and had not been on in awhile. I apologize.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Jefferie
Thank you so much for your explanation here. I truly appreciate your help with this. So they used this to differentiate between different Clerico families? Right? Is is interesting. I am sorry I did not thank you before this but I have been so busy researching and had not been on in awhile. I apologize.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Jefferie

