anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data for

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by nuccia »

suanj wrote:In 1920 travel, Luca Montanaro is a "reservist" this it could be helpful for to find some other info...
suanj
What exactly does resevist mean? Was he in the War? I've seen this on some of my family's manifests as well so I'm curious....


Nuccia :oops:
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by suanj »

Nuccia, right question! I'm no sure, but I think that was some rule in the Army... I found this website about similar case in English Army

http://www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm
kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by suanj »

Hi help!

1920 census look up:

Palma Mondonaro
Paterson Ward 3, Passaic, New Jersey abt 1895


thanks, suanj

PS about Giuseppe Montanaro( the father of Angelo, Luca, Palma) I cannot find it, but are only a :
1920 census

Bill Mondanoro city, Salem, New Jersey
abt 1863 Italy

what is BILL first name in italian?
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by nuccia »

I had posted the census you found suanj and then the site went down! :evil: I'll post again...

1920 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Bill Mondanoro
Name: Bill Mondanoro
Age: 57 years
Estimated birth year: abt 1863
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Upper Penns Neck, Salem, New Jersey
Sex: Male
Marital status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Year of immigration: 1906
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 678

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5461/imagex9xo.gif

1920 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Palma Mondonaro
Name: Palma Mondonaro
[Palma Mondonars]
Age: 25 years
Estimated birth year: abt 1895
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Paterson Ward 3, Passaic, New Jersey
Sex: Female
Marital status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Sister
Year of immigration: un
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 245

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9511/imagex9gw.gif

Hope this helps
Nuccia :D
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by suanj »

Hi Nuccia many thanks! It is very strange... this Palma Montanaro(right) in Paterson is the sister of Luigi Montanaro (imm. in 1895...) it is very strange that in Paterson 2 Palma.. it must be! I found only this.. I cannot say if this is the right, perhaps Sergio can remember if Angelo had also a Luigi brother...
about this Bill.. because no Angelo, no Luca, No Giuseppe I found, no in NJ no in PA ( I read today many records abt 700 for state) so i think that they can changed the first name ... and only this Bill is born in 1862, Montanaro surname, italian in NJ.. Sergio can give us some suggestions.. kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by nuccia »

Yes, I see that you searched quite a bit. Thank you for your help. Maybe Bill could be the same as Attilio...

Anyway, now we need to wait for sergio's input.

Hugs
Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
sergio_bianchi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 17 May 2006, 00:00

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by sergio_bianchi »

Bill I think is in italian Alfredo.

I speak with my mother and she say that she not remember of a uncle named Giuseppe :cry: but she say that there was a Luigi Montanaro.

And she is sure that there was a Palma.


Again I am apologize and you are wonderful

Sergio

P.S. Reservist is a particular type of citizenship. The reservist can be called in everytime and then he must be found.
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by Marisa6 »

Reservists are volunteer part-time members of the armed forces. They receive training and a small amount of pay, and can be called up at any time there is military action and they are needed. For the rest of the time they are normal civilians.
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by nuccia »

Thank you all for answering this for me..it was driving me nuts!!!

So sergio_bianchi, are you able to piece together anything with the information you're getting here? I feel there's been alot of questions asked but no definite answers yet.

If you're having trouble peicing things together as I often do (I'm a visual person) I suggest you use something like a pedigree or family sheet to document the info you have so far...start with yourself..add your parents name, birth years etc, and then grandparents, great grandparents etc..it may make things easier to remember. Does anyone have any other ideas on this?

Here's a link to a form..

http://www.ancestry.com/charts/ancchart.aspx

I really hope this helps some and when you get back to us with some more info then I'm sure we can revisit the records again! :D

Nuccia :D
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by suanj »

sergio_bianchi wrote:Bill I think is in italian Alfredo.

I speak with my mother and she say that she not remember of a uncle named Giuseppe :cry: but she say that there was a Luigi Montanaro.

And she is sure that there was a Palma.


Again I am apologize and you are wonderful

Sergio

P.S. Reservist is a particular type of citizenship. The reservist can be called in everytime and then he must be found.
I also think that this is right Palma...and resident in the Luigi( brother) house) with all family him. The age of Palma is no exactly right, but this error is normal in the censuses..
About Bill I remember and for sure that Bill is as a diminutive right for many english first name.. also i remember from reading that when someone don't know the first name of a person, he call it "ehi Bill!" :wink:
about a brother of Angelo with Giuseppe first name, no I hope that I'm correct, Giuseppe was the FATHER of: Luca, Palma, Angelo, Luigi... and more.

And is very strange that i found Palma (thanks Nuccia for the census images!!!!!!!) :D and after many hours of search i cannot find Giuseppe, Luca, Angelo... so this Bill could be Giuseppe, but Luca and Angelo where are?
and i searched very well... and with search keys for to find it..but nothing... so the search continue, and it is also possible that luca came from angelo, this in feb 1920, but the censuses normally they start abt the spring or the summer, so is possible also that after Luca arrived from Angelo, they moved in other county or state... just some illation... suggestion, but all ideas are welcomes!
best regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by suanj »

Marisa6 wrote:Reservists are volunteer part-time members of the armed forces. They receive training and a small amount of pay, and can be called up at any time there is military action and they are needed. For the rest of the time they are normal civilians.
Thanks Marisa for this good explanation! perhaps this info can help us for to find more abt Luca.. kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by Marisa6 »

Pleasure to help :D

I don't know a lot about american records but you might find information on former US reservists here -

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20408
202-501-5400

A link to the webpage

http://www.archives.gov/ - go to 'military personnel records'

Marisa xx
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by suanj »

About this Bill.. it cannot be our Giuseppe, also if birthyear is probable, because on ship's manifest of Giuseppe are wrote able to read and write, instead this Bill is illetterate as census image( by sweet nuccia :wink: ) so we must search again.. Sergio could be to write all names of family's members emigrated perhaps could be helpful... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by Marisa6 »

If Sergio thinks Bill might be Alfredo, then there is a reservists record for an Alfred Montanaro here
http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-deta ... rid=205208

Bill is short for William usually which would be Gulglielmo. I'll keep looking

Marisa xx
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: anyone having accesss to the censuses search these data

Post by suanj »

Marisa was Luca Montanaro the reservist as in the second ship's manifest...

Giuseppe no reservist and Bill cannot be Giuseppe because bill is illetterate and Giuseppe able to read and to write.. so we must search again, and also in Paterson cemeteries... kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply