Help! Searching info on relative from Cerisano, Calabria

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
katheryneyoung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Jul 2020, 03:33

Help! Searching info on relative from Cerisano, Calabria

Post by katheryneyoung »

I am working on a 1948 case to gain citizenship for my husband's family. The missing piece is I need to find some proof that the father of his LIR (GGM-GF-M-him) never naturalized or immigrated.

LIR is Angelina Marino born 13 January 1896 (or 1894) Cerisano, Cosenza, Calabria, Italy

Mother is Maria Chiappetta born approx 1858 also from Cerisano. Angelina traveled with her mother to US in 1905 and if I read the record correctly it lists the mother a widow. The census in 1930 lists the elderly Maria Marino living in Los Angels with Angelina (Marino) Battista and listed as a widow and an Alien.
Ship Manifest Maria Chiapetta and Marino family.jpg
The father is listed only as Peter Marino on Angela's death certificate. I can find no other record of him in the US and hope this means he died or otherwise stayed in Italy and therefore Angelina will not have lost her Italian citizenship and my husband will qualify.

Peter (Pietro) Marino is such a common name, anyone have any hints or ideas? I would like to rule this out before I pay someone to go looking in Italy.

Grazie!
Post Reply