Throwing this out here for your thoughts...
Do I / would I, be a candidate for dual citizenship under the '1948 law' re 2009 ruling? Not something I had considered before as I was unaware I could possibly have had a claim for this.
My great grandfather and backwards were Italian, he moved to Scotland and married a Scot in 1911, had four children all born in Scotland, one of his children was my grandmother. She married and had four children, all born in Scotland with the eldest being my mother born in 1941 with her siblings all born after 1948.
I am unaware of whether my great grandfather became a British citizen.
In summary:
Great Grandfather - Italian - born in Italy
Grandmother - born in Scotland
Mother - born in Scotland
Myself - born in Scotland
Regards,
John
Italian Citizenship - curious
-
Rossonero3
- Veteran

- Posts: 159
- Joined: 28 Mar 2017, 23:09
- Location: Salem, MA USA
Re: Italian Citizenship - curious
Yes, this is a classic example of a 1948 case. You just need to prove your GGF never naturalized or if he did, when it might have been. In the U.S. we get letters from the Immigration service stating 'non existence'.
The only other thing is whether you have another italian line that would qualify you JS and go through your local consulate vs the court of Rome.
The only other thing is whether you have another italian line that would qualify you JS and go through your local consulate vs the court of Rome.
Researching areas - Marzano Appio, Caserta and Carinola, Caserta
Re: Italian Citizenship - curious
Thank you Rossonero3,
I only have my mothers lineage to Italy, nothing I know of through my fathers side.
Have not found anything yet to suggest my great grandfather had taken on British Citizenship and no mention of it when I had contacted the town I thought he was from to check if they had any record for him...they did, his birth cert and also info re his marriage in Scotland, perhaps I will email them, if their office is open again, to ask them.
Best regards,
John
I only have my mothers lineage to Italy, nothing I know of through my fathers side.
Have not found anything yet to suggest my great grandfather had taken on British Citizenship and no mention of it when I had contacted the town I thought he was from to check if they had any record for him...they did, his birth cert and also info re his marriage in Scotland, perhaps I will email them, if their office is open again, to ask them.
Best regards,
John
Re: Italian Citizenship - curious
His town in Italy would not necessarily have his naturalization information. In fact, they probably wouldn’t because people who naturalized tended not to inform the consulate or their home comuni of their new citizenship. However, the fact that his marriage was recorded is strong evidence that he was still an Italian citizen when he married.
-
Rossonero3
- Veteran

- Posts: 159
- Joined: 28 Mar 2017, 23:09
- Location: Salem, MA USA
Re: Italian Citizenship - curious
That's great his comune responded to you and gave you that information. So now you know his exact date of birth and are easily able to request his birth record from them, as well as knowing the date of marriage, making it easier for you to obtain that record wherever it took place in Scotland.JohnBhoy wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:17 Thank you Rossonero3,
I only have my mothers lineage to Italy, nothing I know of through my fathers side.
Have not found anything yet to suggest my great grandfather had taken on British Citizenship and no mention of it when I had contacted the town I thought he was from to check if they had any record for him...they did, his birth cert and also info re his marriage in Scotland, perhaps I will email them, if their office is open again, to ask them.
Best regards,
John
Researching areas - Marzano Appio, Caserta and Carinola, Caserta
Re: Italian Citizenship - curious
I have electronic copies from them, they did offer official copies but I said no as I was only needing the info for my family tree, and, from all the help on here with translations / guidance, I have birth certs of his siblings, marriages etc, details of his parents, comunes they were from and a little of some of their parents. Getting 'official' records shouldn't be too much of a problem, perhaps delayed by Covid though.Rossonero3 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:30That's great his comune responded to you and gave you that information. So now you know his exact date of birth and are easily able to request his birth record from them, as well as knowing the date of marriage, making it easier for you to obtain that record wherever it took place in Scotland.JohnBhoy wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:17 Thank you Rossonero3,
I only have my mothers lineage to Italy, nothing I know of through my fathers side.
Have not found anything yet to suggest my great grandfather had taken on British Citizenship and no mention of it when I had contacted the town I thought he was from to check if they had any record for him...they did, his birth cert and also info re his marriage in Scotland, perhaps I will email them, if their office is open again, to ask them.
Best regards,
John
One of his siblings, Onorato Antonio Dodero was killed in the war in 1915, in Calcinato which may also help confirm some of my info.
Will need to re-check what is needed and also the costs to go down the 1948 /2009 route.
John
-
Rossonero3
- Veteran

- Posts: 159
- Joined: 28 Mar 2017, 23:09
- Location: Salem, MA USA
Re: Italian Citizenship - curious
JohnBhoy wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:53I have electronic copies from them, they did offer official copies but I said no as I was only needing the info for my family tree, and, from all the help on here with translations / guidance, I have birth certs of his siblings, marriages etc, details of his parents, comunes they were from and a little of some of their parents. Getting 'official' records shouldn't be too much of a problem, perhaps delayed by Covid though.Rossonero3 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:30That's great his comune responded to you and gave you that information. So now you know his exact date of birth and are easily able to request his birth record from them, as well as knowing the date of marriage, making it easier for you to obtain that record wherever it took place in Scotland.JohnBhoy wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:17 Thank you Rossonero3,
I only have my mothers lineage to Italy, nothing I know of through my fathers side.
Have not found anything yet to suggest my great grandfather had taken on British Citizenship and no mention of it when I had contacted the town I thought he was from to check if they had any record for him...they did, his birth cert and also info re his marriage in Scotland, perhaps I will email them, if their office is open again, to ask them.
Best regards,
John
One of his siblings, Onorato Antonio Dodero was killed in the war in 1915, in Calcinato which may also help confirm some of my info.
Will need to re-check what is needed and also the costs to go down the 1948 /2009 route.
John
Wow that is quite the helpful comune! Seriously, usually dealing with them is like pulling teeth. If you decide to follow through with citizenship recognition then yes, you will need a stamped, signed copy in long form from them.
Costs to hire a lawyer / law firm in Italy, depending on complexity of the case and if many other family members will be joining the case. If it just involves documentation for yourself and your direct line then prices might range from 3k - 5k euros. That is for just their consultations with you, reviewing your docs, filing the case and dealing with the court all the way through to completion, but NOT gathering your family documents. Some companies do that but for an exorbitant price, and it's something you can do on your own.
Researching areas - Marzano Appio, Caserta and Carinola, Caserta
Re: Italian Citizenship - curious
Rossonero3 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 23:18JohnBhoy wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:53Thanks again Rossonero3,Rossonero3 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:30
Wow that is quite the helpful comune! Seriously, usually dealing with them is like pulling teeth. If you decide to follow through with citizenship recognition then yes, you will need a stamped, signed copy in long form from them.
Costs to hire a lawyer / law firm in Italy, depending on complexity of the case and if many other family members will be joining the case. If it just involves documentation for yourself and your direct line then prices might range from 3k - 5k euros. That is for just their consultations with you, reviewing your docs, filing the case and dealing with the court all the way through to completion, but NOT gathering your family documents. Some companies do that but for an exorbitant price, and it's something you can do on your own.
yes they were quite helpful but I only had six records from them, the rest I found through my searches and it was the forum members who helped me with all my translations and also gave me great pointers.
Good to have an idea on costs, I can review the list of documents required and start building these up even if I don't ever go for the dual citizenship.
Best regards,
John
