Do I Qualify and Am I Considered?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Do I Qualify and Am I Considered?

Post by darkerhorse »

My paternal grandfather was born in Sicily.

My paternal grandmother was born in the US. Both of her parents were born in Sicily.

My father was born in the US before my paternal grandfather became a naturalized US citizen.

Do I qualify for Italian citizenship?

Do people living in Sicily consider me "Sicilian"?
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Do I Qualify and Am I Considered?

Post by mler »

Yes, you qualify. There is no way to know how Italians view those of us who qualify jure sanguinis. My quess is that most will consider you an American first who happens to have Italian citizenship as well.

A little story—my husband was born in Italy and lost his citizenship through naturalization. When we travelled to Italy last year, the man checking our passports said to him “So you’re Italian, and she has an Italian passport!”😀 I think that says it all.
bbivona
Master
Master
Posts: 1154
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani

Re: Do I Qualify and Am I Considered?

Post by bbivona »

darkerhorse wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 17:54
Do people living in Sicily consider me "Sicilian"?
I have good friends there that I had for 10 years before citizenship was recognized. I'm part of the social circle there, but I don't think I'm thought of as Sicilian. I didn't grow up there, my Italian has an accent, my Sicilian language is not very good, and I think of lots of stuff with an American perspective. Nothing really changed in how people viewed me there when the Italian government decided to recognize my citizenship. I think they view me as a good friend with a lot of ties to the island and an appreciation of them and their culture, but I don't think I'll ever be viewed as truly Sicilian. Being legally recognized as Sicilian isn't a substitute for growing up in the local culture.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
Post Reply