Questions on if the birth certificate I have are sufficient and if discrepancies are minor

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
VinnyB
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 22 Aug 2020, 19:20

Questions on if the birth certificate I have are sufficient and if discrepancies are minor

Post by VinnyB »

First, I have the birth certificates of both of my grandparents who were born in Italy. I could go through either of them (my father was born in March 1961 and my grandma naturalized Dec. 1961 and my grandpa naturalized in 2003). However, after re-reading the checklist, I see I need the extended version with their parents on it. The copies I have do not have their parents listed but it does say certificato di nascita. For reference, they were born in Colledemacine, Abruzzo and Sellia, Calabria. I will be applying for JS and moving full time to Italy. Will I need to get the long form documents (called estratto per riassunto) or are the versions I have ok? I can provide photos, if needed, as well.

There are also some minor discrepancies in names that I wanted to see if they were ok. First off, my grandma's Italian birth certificate shows Francesca Paolina Costantino. On my father's birth certificate, it lists her as Frances Paola Costantino and on his marriage certificate it says Frances Costantino. Will there be an issue here?

My grandfather 's Italian birth certificate shows Decimo Raffaele Barone. On my father's marriage certificate it shows Decimo Ralph Barone and on my father's birth certificate it just says Ralph Barone. Will this be an issue as well?

In addition, on my mother's side on her birth certificate it says her parents are Vincenzo and Vincenza. On my parents' marriage certificate it says Vincent and Vinconza (typo), respectively. Will this be a problem as well?

Lastly, on my birth certificate it says my mom was born in 1952 but she was born in 1957 (as stated everywhere else). I assume this will be a problem, correct?

I would rather go through my grandfather since he is still alive and thus I wouldn't need to get my grandmother's death certificate.

In addition, are there any forms I need pre-filled when going to the comune like I would with the consulates here or no - just bring the documents?

Lastly, I am confused on the translation issue for the documents if I am applying in Italy. Can I get the translations certified by a notary here (my uncle has done Italian translations and notarized them in the past) or would I need to get them certified by a court in Italy when I arrive?

Thank you to all.
Post Reply