Hi!
I've managed to track down my great grandfather, to the town of Lanzada, Sondrio by way of a military levy record.
However I'm unable to find a baptism record, since he was born in 1858 and the town archives hold records only from 1865 onwards.
I've written to the S. Giovanni Battista parish but they still havent answered. I've checked the Centro Rusca online archives but those came empty as that particular parish is not indexed.
Is there anything I can do from my side while I wait for a response?
My anscestor name is Pietro Rossi, son of Benedetto Rossi born in 1858
Thanks in advance for any input you may have!
Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
Re: Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
Was Pietro married in Lanzada? If you can find the allegati (attachments to the marriage) it should have a copy of his birth act.
While the digitized records for Lanzada begin in 1866, the civil records date further back. I would suggest writing to the comune of Lanzada to request Pietro's birth act in 1858.
Meanwhile, as I searched for a marriage for Pietro I found this publication of marriage for Pasquale Rossi, son of deceased Benedetto, and living Margherita Lenatti, in 1885 in Lanzada.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043841
T.
While the digitized records for Lanzada begin in 1866, the civil records date further back. I would suggest writing to the comune of Lanzada to request Pietro's birth act in 1858.
Meanwhile, as I searched for a marriage for Pietro I found this publication of marriage for Pasquale Rossi, son of deceased Benedetto, and living Margherita Lenatti, in 1885 in Lanzada.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043841
T.
Re: Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
I don't think the comune may have any record before 1866.
In the Regno Lombardo Veneto (and for some other years until the new Italian Stato Civile began in 1866) there were civil records but made by the parishes together with those for religious purpose, so they should still be at the various parishes. In some dioceses they were moved to the Archivio Diocesano, but it seems not in the diocese of Como.
The Centro Rusca made a data bank from these registers (1830-1866), but only for the town of Como.
So a birth/baptism document should be asked to the parish. In case of no answer, you may ask again to the diocese. In case you need a certified copy, on paper, for an official use such as to apply for Italian citizenship, this is in any case competence of the diocese.
Regards.
In the Regno Lombardo Veneto (and for some other years until the new Italian Stato Civile began in 1866) there were civil records but made by the parishes together with those for religious purpose, so they should still be at the various parishes. In some dioceses they were moved to the Archivio Diocesano, but it seems not in the diocese of Como.
The Centro Rusca made a data bank from these registers (1830-1866), but only for the town of Como.
So a birth/baptism document should be asked to the parish. In case of no answer, you may ask again to the diocese. In case you need a certified copy, on paper, for an official use such as to apply for Italian citizenship, this is in any case competence of the diocese.
Regards.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
You can search marriage allegati.
Re: Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
As far as I know, he got married here on Argentina to my great grandmother. I also found that marriage from the one I presume is his brother, and that is what gives me reason to believe that he was born in Lanzada.
I wrote to the comune of Lanzada, but they told me that I have to request the baptism act from the parish.
I've also written to the diocese of Como, and they told me the they would forward the request to Lanzada. However it has been a month since that (perhaps I'm being too anxious?).
I wrote to the comune of Lanzada, but they told me that I have to request the baptism act from the parish.
I've also written to the diocese of Como, and they told me the they would forward the request to Lanzada. However it has been a month since that (perhaps I'm being too anxious?).
Re: Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
You confirm what I wrote. The comune doesn't have the registers of that period and they are at the parish. Perhaps the request has not been sent immediately to the parish, now the diocese offices are closed, wait till next month and see if they reply. I'll look if there is an e-mail address of the parish to contact it directly.
Re: Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
You were right cedrone, the diocese answered finally!
However I'm thinking about the marriage of my great grand parents. According to my mother they got married here on Argentina. But I haven't been able to find anything regarding that marriage yet. Maybe the actually got married in Italy after all.
All I know is that Pietro was from Lanzada and Lucia Peccedi was from Valle di Dentro, Sondrio (I already have her baptism record) however, I really have no idea where to search for their marriage act (if it existed).
Since she came to argentina on 1895, I presume it would have to be at least a year early. But I got no way of knowing the town they may habe gotten married.
Any ideas?
However I'm thinking about the marriage of my great grand parents. According to my mother they got married here on Argentina. But I haven't been able to find anything regarding that marriage yet. Maybe the actually got married in Italy after all.
All I know is that Pietro was from Lanzada and Lucia Peccedi was from Valle di Dentro, Sondrio (I already have her baptism record) however, I really have no idea where to search for their marriage act (if it existed).
Since she came to argentina on 1895, I presume it would have to be at least a year early. But I got no way of knowing the town they may habe gotten married.
Any ideas?
Re: Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
Hi. Can you please show what you received from the diocese? by posting here or sending to me by private message. I'd be interested to know also for other similar requests made by other people. But the parish did not know if he married?
For the marriage if in Argentina it seems difficult if you do not know the place/church. Do you know when they arrived to Argentina? Together or not? If together it is probable they married in Italy. Please tell me the date of birth of Luisa. I'll see if I can find something.
For the marriage if in Argentina it seems difficult if you do not know the place/church. Do you know when they arrived to Argentina? Together or not? If together it is probable they married in Italy. Please tell me the date of birth of Luisa. I'll see if I can find something.
Re: Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
Are you a member of the group "Genealogia Argentina" on Facebook?
Do you know Italian?
Do you know Italian?
Re: Help finding baptism record in Lanzada, Sondrio
How did you find the birth date of Pietro? And the date of arrival of Lucia?
Do you know when Pietro arrived?
I found from Cemla that she was born 1873, arrived 12/3/1895, Ship 'Nord America', SOLTERA.
On the contrary, due to the difference of age, very likely Pietro arrived to Argentina married, and later, widower, married Lucia.
Do you know when Pietro arrived?
I found from Cemla that she was born 1873, arrived 12/3/1895, Ship 'Nord America', SOLTERA.
On the contrary, due to the difference of age, very likely Pietro arrived to Argentina married, and later, widower, married Lucia.
