help with death record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 204
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 13:29

help with death record

Post by poliquie »

I would love some help translating this death record.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2051639

This is what I gleaned from it---- it is a death record for Giovanna Sgroi, daughter of Rosario Sgroi and Anna Maria Russo.

Date of death is July 25, 1895? and she was 15 years old at the time of death

Not sure if I got it correct or night. Would love to know cause of death if it states it

thanks for any help you can give. :D
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: help with death record

Post by darkerhorse »

What I see.

Giuseppa, not Giovanna.

She died yesterday, so date of death is July 24.

Age is 5 years old.

Address is Via Sgroi.

Deceased and father born in Giuseppe Stato. Birth place of mother unknown.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: help with death record

Post by darkerhorse »

No cause of death. Italian death records almost never list cause of death. I've heard that some church records do.
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 204
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 13:29

Re: help with death record

Post by poliquie »

I thank you.... I did make a mistake in writing Giovanna instead of Guiseppa, I documented it correctly just didnt post it correctly,lol...

Thanks for the clarity of her age. I tried deciphering it and debated between 15 and 5. di anni must mean years of ? cinque is five?

Thanks for your help
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 204
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 13:29

Re: help with death record

Post by poliquie »

What word indicts the day before?
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: help with death record

Post by darkerhorse »

yes, di anni cinque - of five years, five years old, age 5, etc.
di is of, anni is years and cinque is five

yesterday = ieri (change the i to y and it's related - yieri-day/yesterday)
ieri comes after the time of death anti-meridiana (after noon) quattro cinque = 4:05 pm, di ieri (yesterday) nella casa posta in etc.

instead of ieri they would put the number of the day, such as diciasette (17), venti (20) etc. of the current month. ieri is just an alternative to writing the actual number of the day
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: help with death record

Post by Tessa78 »

The time of death is 4:05 AM.

Anti merdiane is before noon. Post meridiane is after noon.

The place of birth is (San)Giuseppe Jato, not Giuseppe Stato. Written on the record as Giuseppe Iato.

Both father and mother reside in the town but the birthplace of neither of them is given.

T.
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 204
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 13:29

Re: help with death record

Post by poliquie »

Thank you for your help. I have been going through all the records for San Giuseppe Iato page by page to find my family records. I didn’t see her birth record but perhaps I missed it. I am assuming she was born in 1890 or 1889. This record uncovered another child born to my Aunt and Uncle that I didn’t know about😊.

Thanks for the help with the Italian Tessa. I am getting better at reading some of the records, although the ones in S Guiseppe seem easier than the ones I was going through in Bari. When they have pre filled info that is standard it makes it a bit easier for me. I studied Spanish for 6 years, and grew up going to church in Italian and Latin so all of it helps 😊
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 204
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 13:29

Re: help with death record

Post by poliquie »

Thanks darker horse 😊
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 204
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 13:29

Re: help with death record

Post by poliquie »

Darkerhorse,

Where in the document is the word yieri? I looked back at the document so I could find what you were referring to and I can’t see it. Can you tell me which line it’s in so I can learn where to look?

Thanks again for your help
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: help with death record

Post by darkerhorse »

In the middle of the line above the one that reads

"al numero e morta Sgroi Giuseppa,"

you see “e minuti cinque di ieri, nella casa posta in”

You can check it out now, or wait until Tessa corrects me!
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: help with death record

Post by darkerhorse »

about two-thirds of the way down the page
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: help with death record

Post by darkerhorse »

or, is that half-way down the page?
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: help with death record

Post by darkerhorse »

Ages were sometimes rounded and, of course, sometimes unknown or reported in error by the informant

You should check a wider range of years.

Did you check the index?

Make sure you include Part II (at the end) in your searches when you go page-by- page.
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 204
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 13:29

Re: help with death record

Post by poliquie »

How do you jump to the index? I have been going through the records page by page. Is there something I am missing that you can do a quick check to see if the records are there?
Post Reply