Help - Census docs needed? Great Grandfather applied but never naturalized

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
JoeyLazz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 06 Oct 2020, 06:30

Help - Census docs needed? Great Grandfather applied but never naturalized

Post by JoeyLazz »

Hi all,

I have an upcoming appointment with the Italian Consulate in San Francisco for Citizenship. I am going through my father's paternal side.

I have discovered that my great grandfather (born in Lucca area) applied for naturalization years after my grandfather was born in San Francisco but it was dismissed because the declaration of intent was over 7 years old at the time of the petition. I have a certified copy of his Petition for Naturalization document (and intent document) from the National Archives. It shows my Grandfather was born already.

I completed a search to see if my Great Grandfather ever naturalized and it appeared he did not according to Us Department of Homeland Security.Even thought we know he tried at one point. I obtained a certificate of non existence of record.

My question is do I need to get some sort of census document in addition to all of this? I am not sure if it is needed as we know my granfather was already born by the time my great grandfather applied for naturalization. I see the SF Consulate lists a Census document on their website though so I am unsure if this is something I need. Does anyone know??

Thanks so much!

Joey
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Help - Census docs needed? Great Grandfather applied but never naturalized

Post by mler »

Yes, the consulate will require a census record (for the decade after your gf’s birth) to confirm the no-naturalization record. You should be able to obtain this through NARA.

The declaration of intent and petition to naturalize are documents that also provide confirmation, and you might want to bring them with you as well. But when in doubt, give the consulate what it asks for (even though logically the census should not be necessary in your case).
Post Reply