I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
Although COVID restrictions In NYC have somewhat loosened up I do spend most of my time at home.
I know Brooklyn well as a branch of my Italian family from Soragna settled here well over a 100 years ago. I’m also rather familiar with the Italian settlements in lower Manhattan and the Bronx. I could perhaps help in determining the neighborhoods; churches, cemeteries, etc...where your ancestors may have lived in NYC. If you have a question about Italian Immigrants in NYC, I would be happy to do all I can to assist you.
I am not a genealogist.
Just an Italian American willing to help those whose families may have first lived in NYC prior to moving elsewhere.
I know Brooklyn well as a branch of my Italian family from Soragna settled here well over a 100 years ago. I’m also rather familiar with the Italian settlements in lower Manhattan and the Bronx. I could perhaps help in determining the neighborhoods; churches, cemeteries, etc...where your ancestors may have lived in NYC. If you have a question about Italian Immigrants in NYC, I would be happy to do all I can to assist you.
I am not a genealogist.
Just an Italian American willing to help those whose families may have first lived in NYC prior to moving elsewhere.
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
Hello....thx for the generous offer of help to others.
JCM
JCM
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
Thank you for your help
Marty
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
You are all very welcome. I recognized years ago that Italian Americans who branched out to California and Nevada, Ohio and elsewhere in the States did not know where to look in NYC for their families as NYC was very most often the first place of arrival.
For instance, Brooklyn, where I live, did not become part of NYC until 1898.
There are records, of course, at NYC’s Municipal Archives. But I can perhaps help to pinpoint the church to which a family belonged. The churches hold many records as do the graveyards.
I am particularly versed in the Italian families who settled in East New York, Brooklyn and families who settled in lower Manhattan.
Those were families from my paternal line.
In a pinch, I may also be able to help with families who lived in what was known as Italian Harlem in Manhattan and Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. That is my maternal line.
I have been helped so greatly by this Forum. It is my turn to step up.
Good wishes to you, Marty and JCM and all members of this forum.
For instance, Brooklyn, where I live, did not become part of NYC until 1898.
There are records, of course, at NYC’s Municipal Archives. But I can perhaps help to pinpoint the church to which a family belonged. The churches hold many records as do the graveyards.
I am particularly versed in the Italian families who settled in East New York, Brooklyn and families who settled in lower Manhattan.
Those were families from my paternal line.
In a pinch, I may also be able to help with families who lived in what was known as Italian Harlem in Manhattan and Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. That is my maternal line.
I have been helped so greatly by this Forum. It is my turn to step up.
Good wishes to you, Marty and JCM and all members of this forum.
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
Ok Maddalena...you are up at bat now!
My maternal grandparents were married 3/18/1917 at Mt Carmel Church in Harlem I’m sure....Cosimo Jandoto...really Yandoli..and
Marianna Saporito. Below is NYC marriage doc. I have already contacted Mt Carmel Church in Arthur Ave section of Bronx and they have no record of this marriage. I have also contacted Mt Carmel in Harlem area with no response since July. Don’t know of any other Mt Carmel Churches in NYC.
The reason I’m sure they married at a Mt Carmel Church is because my grandmother had a special devotion to the Blessed Mother. Of course I’m not positive but I do recall my late aunt telling me it was a Mt Carmel Church. They did live in Little Italy I think before moving to Pennsylvania to be with relatives and find work for my GF.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24QK-1C
JCM....Joyce
My maternal grandparents were married 3/18/1917 at Mt Carmel Church in Harlem I’m sure....Cosimo Jandoto...really Yandoli..and
Marianna Saporito. Below is NYC marriage doc. I have already contacted Mt Carmel Church in Arthur Ave section of Bronx and they have no record of this marriage. I have also contacted Mt Carmel in Harlem area with no response since July. Don’t know of any other Mt Carmel Churches in NYC.
The reason I’m sure they married at a Mt Carmel Church is because my grandmother had a special devotion to the Blessed Mother. Of course I’m not positive but I do recall my late aunt telling me it was a Mt Carmel Church. They did live in Little Italy I think before moving to Pennsylvania to be with relatives and find work for my GF.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24QK-1C
JCM....Joyce
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
Ok. The marriage doc link did not work. I remember Mt. Carmel and also Saint Raymond’s from the Bronx. It was predominantly Italians from Napoli who settled in the Bronx. I spent time there as a child with my mother’s family who was from outside of a Naples. Your family name is not familiar to me. Do you have any addresses where they lived?
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
What do you mean by Little Italy. Do you mean the Bronx or Little Italy in Lower Manhattan?
Give me more info.
Give me more info.
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
We’re your family from Napoli?
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
Grandparents both came from Avellino in Avellino province, Campania....Saporito and Iandoli, Iandolo surname is common in Avellino commune.
No address in NYC for them but don’t think they were in Little Italy in Manhattan very long before leaving for PA....first child born in December 1917 in PA I am pretty sure.
The Mt Carmel Church in Bronx has no record of their marriage there. Am sure marriage was at Mt Carmel in Harlem. Called there on 8/6 p/20 and sent requested info but no response...don’t expect one either since secretary made it sound like records are in a dungeon...guess they never heard of storing records on computer. LOL
That’s all the info I have except for NYC marriage record. I am sending another link to these records below...
Cosimo Jandoto....really either Iandoli or Iandolo.....and Marianna
Saporito 3/18/1917 in Manhattan. Let me know if this link works for you.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/GWVY-FC7
JCM....Joyce
No address in NYC for them but don’t think they were in Little Italy in Manhattan very long before leaving for PA....first child born in December 1917 in PA I am pretty sure.
The Mt Carmel Church in Bronx has no record of their marriage there. Am sure marriage was at Mt Carmel in Harlem. Called there on 8/6 p/20 and sent requested info but no response...don’t expect one either since secretary made it sound like records are in a dungeon...guess they never heard of storing records on computer. LOL
That’s all the info I have except for NYC marriage record. I am sending another link to these records below...
Cosimo Jandoto....really either Iandoli or Iandolo.....and Marianna
Saporito 3/18/1917 in Manhattan. Let me know if this link works for you.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/GWVY-FC7
JCM....Joyce
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
Joyce
If I may interject-
Have you sent for their marriage record from the NYC municipal archives? The church name could be on that certificate.
Iandolo Cosimo Mar 18 1917 certificate # 8986 Manhattan
Yandolo Cosimo Mar 18 1917 certificate #8986 Manhattan
Saporito Marianna -same info as above
I believe it is $15 and they will send you a copy via email in pdf format.
https://www1.nyc.gov/doittshoppingcart/ ... ficate.htm
Years ago I received documents from Mt Carmel in Manhattan without any problem. The issue at the moment might be related to the pandemic.
If I may interject-
Have you sent for their marriage record from the NYC municipal archives? The church name could be on that certificate.
Iandolo Cosimo Mar 18 1917 certificate # 8986 Manhattan
Yandolo Cosimo Mar 18 1917 certificate #8986 Manhattan
Saporito Marianna -same info as above
I believe it is $15 and they will send you a copy via email in pdf format.
https://www1.nyc.gov/doittshoppingcart/ ... ficate.htm
Years ago I received documents from Mt Carmel in Manhattan without any problem. The issue at the moment might be related to the pandemic.
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
@Maddalena-
I'm actually looking for a photo of a tombstone in St John's Cemetery in Middle Village Queens. I don't know if the cemetery is open during the pandemic or if anyone lives close to it who could take the photo. I have the exact location of the gravesite.
Thanks
Erudita
I'm actually looking for a photo of a tombstone in St John's Cemetery in Middle Village Queens. I don't know if the cemetery is open during the pandemic or if anyone lives close to it who could take the photo. I have the exact location of the gravesite.
Thanks
Erudita
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
JCM
I believe the individual Parish records are now he,d by the Archdiocese of New York and have been digitized. Check out Findmypast.
I’ll try to add a link
I believe the individual Parish records are now he,d by the Archdiocese of New York and have been digitized. Check out Findmypast.
I’ll try to add a link
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
St Johns Cemetery. I tried to respond but I must have done something wrong. The cemetery is open but last I heard the office was not. A cousin of mine went there recently. I’m not sure if and when he might be going back. Send me the info.
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
Hi MaddalenaMaddalenaNYC wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 17:28 St Johns Cemetery. I tried to respond but I must have done something wrong. The cemetery is open but last I heard the office was not. A cousin of mine went there recently. I’m not sure if and when he might be going back. Send me the info.
I'm sending you the info in a private message.
Thank you.
Erudita
Re: I Live in Brooklyn, NYC. Perhaps I Can Help Someone
Maddalena.....thx so much for the info about NY archdiocese holding the marriage records. Of course I never thought of that
as a source. Will check it out. If all else fails I will send for marriage certificate from NYC.
Thx so much for your help.
JCM....Joyce
as a source. Will check it out. If all else fails I will send for marriage certificate from NYC.
Thx so much for your help.
JCM....Joyce

