Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
marisasabatino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 20 Oct 2020, 23:10

Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by marisasabatino »

This is the birth record of my great grandfather, Domenico Sabatino born in Alimena, Palermo in 1855. I got here from the index... there is hardly anything recognizable.

Can anyone make out his father's name, age, etc.? The info on his birth record doesn't seem to match his marriage certificate(below)
Mother's name, age, etc?
Any other pertinent info?

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0


This is his marriage certificate.... I can't make out his mother's name on this either.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613
Researching Sabatino, Oddo names in Alimena, Sicilia and Scandolara in Cremona, Repetto names in Mezzanego and Chiavari, Genova.
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by JSpero1162 »

Hi Marisa,

On the birth record, I see the parents as:

Marianna ??, age 22, living in Alimena

Francesco Paolo Sabbatino, age 30, profession peasant sharecropper, living in ??. There is also something after his name which I cannot make out.

On the marriage record, it looks like the parents are:

Marrianna Buniomo??, living in Alimena. You can check the various indices to see if the last name appears in the town and the spelling is correct.

Francesco Paolo (he is deceased - del fu before the name). Note that Francesco starts on one line and continues on the next.

I hope this helps.

Jim
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by Tessa78 »

marisasabatino wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 20:26 This is the birth record of my great grandfather, Domenico Sabatino born in Alimena, Palermo in 1855. I got here from the index... there is hardly anything recognizable.

Can anyone make out his father's name Francesco Paolo Sabbatino, age 30, farmer etc.? The info on his birth record doesn't seem to match his marriage certificate(below)
Mother's name Marianna Ba???? - Bausone, Basone, Bassone???, age 22, etc?
Any other pertinent info? Birth on 2 December, presented by Giuseppa Ragnone(?), 42, midwife.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0


This is his marriage certificate.... I can't make out his mother's name on this either. I am reading Marianna Bausone.
Also reading Bausone on the Publication of marriage Banns.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613


https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613
T.
marisasabatino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 20 Oct 2020, 23:10

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by marisasabatino »

Thank you so much Tessa!

I agree... it looks like Bausone in the birth record. That is not a usual name for this area and I can't find any other Bausone's from Alimena.

Look at how it is written in the index...

https://imgur.com/bP3P2w4

Image

It looks like Bafone? Baugone? Again all unusual names for this region.
Researching Sabatino, Oddo names in Alimena, Sicilia and Scandolara in Cremona, Repetto names in Mezzanego and Chiavari, Genova.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by Tessa78 »

In the index...also Bausone. (The letter you see as "f" is actually "s.")

Perhaps she was not from Alimena. Her marriage to Francesco Paolo Sabatino should indicate her place of birth.

Edit to add:
I did come across the surname Bausone (Maestro Benedetto Bausone) in the marriage index for 1846 in Alimena. :D

****
And... Here is the POSSIBLE marriage of Francesco Paolo Sabatino with Giuseppa Bausone in Alimena in 1850.
He was born in Bompietro.
She was born in Alimena.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 0.jpg.html

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by Tessa78 »

This appears to be a first son named Domenico born to the above couple in 1852. This child likely died before the birth of the Domenico born in 1855.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

T.
marisasabatino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 20 Oct 2020, 23:10

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by marisasabatino »

Wow Tessa! So much information to process. Molto Grazie!

I've only been at this for a little over a month, so reading the handwriting is coming slowly.

I found Maria Anna's birth record. Maybe you can help with that as well? I can't make out her mother's name or age.

The index #72:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 9.jpg.html

And the record itself:

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 1.jpg.html

I'm sure I will be back with more questions. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and this website!
Researching Sabatino, Oddo names in Alimena, Sicilia and Scandolara in Cremona, Repetto names in Mezzanego and Chiavari, Genova.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by Tessa78 »

Maria Bausone's mother is Maria Anna Tedesco, age 20.
Father is Ferdinando Bausone, age 25.

T.
marisasabatino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 20 Oct 2020, 23:10

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by marisasabatino »

I cannot find the marriage record of Francisco Paolo Sabatino to Marianna Bausone. I looked at years 1852 through 1850 in Alimena as well as Bompietro.

I think I might have found Francisco's birth record in 1822 in Bompietro.
He was a twin!?
This is the index image
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html

And this would be the birth record. It's not a fill in the blanks but a huge written paragraph which I cannot make heads or tails of
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html

Any help would be appreciated!
Researching Sabatino, Oddo names in Alimena, Sicilia and Scandolara in Cremona, Repetto names in Mezzanego and Chiavari, Genova.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by Tessa78 »

marisasabatino wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 21:44 I cannot find the marriage record of Francisco Paolo Sabatino to Marianna Bausone. I looked at years 1852 through 1850 in Alimena as well as Bompietro.
I believe that the marriage I posted above (1850) for Francesco Paolo Sabatino and Giuseppa Bausone is their marriage act. Parents listed for the bride are the same (Ferdinando Bausone and Maria Anna Tedesco.) It is possible that her name was Maria Giuseppa Bausone... (She is listed as Maria, not Marianna, on the birth acts of children. Her Mother was Marianna)

The link again to the marriage
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 0.jpg.html

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by Tessa78 »

marisasabatino wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 21:44 I cannot find the marriage record of Francisco Paolo Sabatino to Marianna Bausone. I looked at years 1852 through 1850 in Alimena as well as Bompietro.

I think I might have found Francisco's birth record in 1822 in Bompietro.
He was a twin!?

This is the index image
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html

And this would be the birth record. It's not a fill in the blanks but a huge written paragraph which I cannot make heads or tails of
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html

Any help would be appreciated!
Here is correct link to the birth acts for Carmelo and Francesco Paolo Sabbatino (the spelling in the record)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Father: Domenico Sabbatino, 40, shepherd
Mother: Carmela Papa, 35, spinner, his wife
Birth - 15 November 1822 in Bompietro
Presentation to the official by Santa Papa, 56, spinner.

T.
marisasabatino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 20 Oct 2020, 23:10

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by marisasabatino »

Thanks for your continued help Tessa!

No.. Guiseppa Bausone was born on Nov. 2, 1832 to Fernando and Maria Anna Tedesco. She is the older sister.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

She must have died young, perhaps in childbirth.

Francisco Paolo then married her younger sister Maria Anna who was born in 1834.

Francisco's son, Domenico did the same thing. His first wife(my great grandmother) died young and he subsequently married her younger sister. Guess it was the thing to do!

So I'm still looking for the marriage record of Francisco Paolo to Maria Anna.

And are there any records pre-1820 online for Palermo?

Thanks again,
Marisa
Researching Sabatino, Oddo names in Alimena, Sicilia and Scandolara in Cremona, Repetto names in Mezzanego and Chiavari, Genova.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by Tessa78 »

Death of first son, Domenico, born to Francesco Paolo and Giuseppa.
He was 2 months of age. Giuseppa was still living at the time of his death.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

I am still of the belief that Maria and Giuseppa are the same person. :D
I have found no death act for Giuseppa through 1856 acts.
You have found no additional birth act, only that of Giuseppa.
And... the only marriage found was that of Francesco Paolo and Giuseppa.


T.
marisasabatino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 20 Oct 2020, 23:10

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by marisasabatino »

No... Maria and Giuseppa are not the same person.
Here is the birth act for Maria in 1834

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 1.jpg.html

I only can't find the marriage of Maria and Francisco Paolo.

Marisa
Researching Sabatino, Oddo names in Alimena, Sicilia and Scandolara in Cremona, Repetto names in Mezzanego and Chiavari, Genova.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help with Sicilian birth record -Sabatino

Post by Tessa78 »

Wonderful! Thank you for posting Maria's birth act.

T.
Post Reply