Death Extracts in Latin

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Death Extracts in Latin

Post by JSpero1162 »

I have found three death extracts in the marriage allegati in 1860. The extracts are in Latin, and I am having a devil of a time translating.

The first two use a printed form, and I am able to understand most of the printed text, but am having trouble with the handwritten sections. I can make out the dates and some of the names, but there seems to be more information I cannot make out.

On the first one, I can also make out a word Bello. Does this mean war? Based on the year of death, could he have been killed in the Sicilian rebellion of 1849?

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 5.jpg.html

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html

On the last one, it is all handwritten. I can make out the first part and the last part, but very little of the middle sections. I can basically only make out the date and the name of the deceased - Joachim Spera. Based on the date of death, is there any indication of him being killed in the Sicilian rebellion?

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

The second page of this last document seems to indicate that the town civil records were burned. I know this is the case for Belmonte Mezzagno in May 1849 as the town was burned down by the Bourbon army. Was this common for other towns in the area as well?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. It is most appreciated.

Jim
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Death Extracts in Latin

Post by PippoM »

First one:
May 8th, 1849
Rosolino Spera, 75 years old, husband of Giuseppa D'Agostino, was killed in time of war

Second one:
Feb 12th, 1843
"Donna" Michela Bellanca in Spera (Spera is surname after marriage), 34 years old, wife of "Don" Gioacchino Spera, died yesterday.

Third one:
The first part is a standard formula for the issue of such documents, like the printed text in previous records.
May 15th, 1849
Gioacchino Spera, husband of (I can't read wife's name, but if he is the same Gioacchino of the previous record, as I guess, he must have remarried), about 40 years old, passed away and was buried in the church of San Giuseppe.
The third part actually states that the municipal archive was burnt because of "political events" (that's why they had to provide church records for the marriage)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Re: Death Extracts in Latin

Post by JSpero1162 »

Thanks so much!!! This provides a lot of information for me to look into.

As for the name that can't be read, knowing it is his wife makes more sense to me. I found another record in which he remarried a Giocomina Vianni. Looking at the third document again, it looks like that's what it says.

Thanks again.
Jim
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Death Extracts in Latin

Post by PippoM »

I agree: Giacomina Vianni.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Post Reply