do we really need to legalise every document? Does each generation have to show non-naturalisation?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 09 Nov 2020, 23:52

do we really need to legalise every document? Does each generation have to show non-naturalisation?

Post by dannyjosa »

Hello there,

I am at the final stages of a DIY application, I'd like to seek advice on the following:

-Do I really need all vital records for everyone in the line between me and the ancestor? Do all of these have to be legalised? I am applying through a Great Great Grandfather, with legalisation costs being equivalent to $50 US per document here costs really addup. I am looking at $1000 just to get legalisation. I was hoping someone might tell me I can get by with just legalising some of the documents?


-I need evidence that my Italian born ancestor didn't naturalise, do I also need the same evidence for everyone in the line until I was born in 1990? The rules changed in 1992 so it feels like I should have this letter for all of them.

Thanks!

Grazie! :P
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: do we really need to legalise every document? Does each generation have to show non-naturalisation?

Post by mler »

You need evidence of no-naturalization ONLY for your Italian-born ancestor, and you should supplement this with census documents. There are forms available through the consulate for both living and deceased ascendants. In completing these forms you (or the living ascendant) attests that they never renounced Italian citizenship.

Sorry, but you need apostilles for all documents not originating in Italy for every relative in the line and for yourself.
MaddalenaNYC
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 202
Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Re: do we really need to legalise every document? Does each generation have to show non-naturalisation?

Post by MaddalenaNYC »

If you want the EU passport, it is worth every dime to attain it.
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 09 Nov 2020, 23:52

Re: do we really need to legalise every document? Does each generation have to show non-naturalisation?

Post by dannyjosa »

Thanks. I have a British passport, but with Brexit, it seems its time to spend dimes!

Thanks
dannyjosa
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 36
Joined: 09 Nov 2020, 23:52

Re: do we really need to legalise every document? Does each generation have to show non-naturalisation?

Post by dannyjosa »

If an ancestor lived in Country1 throughout his life and died in Country2 which is where I now live, do we need proof of non-naturalisation from both countries?

Thanks
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: do we really need to legalise every document? Does each generation have to show non-naturalisation?

Post by mler »

Yes, because naturalization in any country would end citizenship.
Post Reply