Dual italian citizenship questions
-
Nikkiamore
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 18 Jan 2021, 14:27
Dual italian citizenship questions
I am in the beginning stages of getting documents to apply for dual citizenship. My concern is what happens if like in my case my mother was never married to my father and my birth certificate does not list him or anyone as my father? I have the same issue with 3 of my children that I will eventually want to pass my dual citizenship on to. My 17 year old doesnt have her father's name on her birth certificate nor does my 3 year old. I was never married either. Does this make it hard to get for yourself and pass on dual citizenship to your children? I'm applying through my great great grandfather on my mothers side. I've already gotten documents for him and my great-great grandmother and the documents of my great grand parents and grandparents. Now I'm working on my mother and myself and my 5 children.
Re: Dual italian citizenship questions
I think it's only an issue if going through the paternal line. Italy, like New York, considers a child born after the marriage to be the natural child of the father (even though he/she may not be so). Obviously, a mother doesn't have to be married to be considered the natural mother due to the nature of giving birth.
So if you successfully obtain citizenship, I doubt it will be an issue at all if your children don't have a father listed on their birth certificates. However, if you are seeking citizenship through your father's line, then you will need some legal acknowledgement of your father's paternity vis-a-vis you.
However, I'm not so knowledgeable about Italian citizenship law. My perspective is based on the fact that I deal with these issues in my work in the USA.
So if you successfully obtain citizenship, I doubt it will be an issue at all if your children don't have a father listed on their birth certificates. However, if you are seeking citizenship through your father's line, then you will need some legal acknowledgement of your father's paternity vis-a-vis you.
However, I'm not so knowledgeable about Italian citizenship law. My perspective is based on the fact that I deal with these issues in my work in the USA.
