Hello all,
I am beginning the process of assembling the necessary documents for my wife to apply for Italian citizenship, though her father's side. Her grandfather is the LIPA, so i need to get his birth certificate, his wife's, and their marriage certificate.
How to I best find the person or office in the commune of Gioia Del Colle, Bari, Puglia, to contact for best results?
Thank you,
Joe
Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents
-
bitterbatter
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 04 Jan 2020, 17:30
- Location: New York
Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents
Joe Zizzo - New York
Re: Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents
I would advise not wasting your time trying to procure the documents yourself.
I can recommend the user PippoM for obtaining certificates.
I can recommend the user PippoM for obtaining certificates.
-
bitterbatter
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 04 Jan 2020, 17:30
- Location: New York
Re: Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents
Is it really that difficult?
Joe Zizzo - New York
Re: Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents
I can only speak from my experience. My requests did not elicit a response. I contacted the user PippoM and he obtained my certificates in a matter of days.
If you don't know the precise dates/names, it makes it exponentially more difficult. I would contact someone in Italy who specializes in certificate procurement...you'll get results.
If you don't know the precise dates/names, it makes it exponentially more difficult. I would contact someone in Italy who specializes in certificate procurement...you'll get results.
-
hessgoblue
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 04 Feb 2021, 14:50
Re: Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents
If you speak Italian and want to try calling the comune, you can but I think sending emails or letters is really a gamble. Like the other user here, I also never elicited a response on my own in this way. I used a company for mine (Francesco Curione) and he was very fast. Based on what he told me, for the more difficult one, he did have to call and actually speak to someone to get it. Just my experience.
Re: Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents
I was able to find all my relatives in Calabria via familysearch.org records, have you tried searching yours?bitterbatter wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 20:22 Hello all,
I am beginning the process of assembling the necessary documents for my wife to apply for Italian citizenship, though her father's side. Her grandfather is the LIPA, so i need to get his birth certificate, his wife's, and their marriage certificate.
How to I best find the person or office in the commune of Gioia Del Colle, Bari, Puglia, to contact for best results?
Thank you,
Joe
You'll need to create a free account, but I see records back to 1866 for Gioia Del Colle
https://www.familysearch.org/records/im ... ce=7063499
If you know birth years and names, you can search with ease and many on here can help with the Italian translation, many on here may even find it for you.
These copies on familysearch are good because they aid to obtain the official record from the Comune, which doing yourself (from my experience) may go unanswered or be quite difficult if you email the Comune yourself as qualdom noted.
These copies themselves are not "official" for the process of obtaining citizenship, so you still will need to obtain the official copy from the Comune which is the most difficult in some instances, I'm using ICA and to aid in retrieval I sent them the copies of all records I found via familysearch.
Not sure if PippoM is getting actual certified copies or just copies, but if so I would take qualdom's advice and ask for their help if you are unsure on how to search or start the process.
Re: Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents
Yes, he obtained the actual certified copies for me that can be used for the dual citizenship process. My ancestor's comune is not available online for the years in question, and I didn't know the precise dates, so I think it would have been nearly impossible without his assistance.afecad wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 18:16 Not sure if PippoM is getting actual certified copies or just copies, but if so I would take qualdom's advice and ask for their help if you are unsure on how to search or start the process.
Re: Question about making contact in Italy to obtain documents
Oh, good to know. Were these from Isca sullo Ionio or another comune?qualdom wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 19:04Yes, he obtained the actual certified copies for me that can be used for the dual citizenship process. My ancestor's comune is not available online for the years in question, and I didn't know the precise dates, so I think it would have been nearly impossible without his assistance.afecad wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 18:16 Not sure if PippoM is getting actual certified copies or just copies, but if so I would take qualdom's advice and ask for their help if you are unsure on how to search or start the process.

