Records of arrivals in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by Debn1951 »

I’m trying to find out if my great-uncle, originally from Ragusa, Sicily, who migrated to NY in 1913, returned to Italy some time after 1920. No record of him in the US after that year. Name Emanuele Naviglia or Naviglio, also went by first name Giorge. DOB 16 June 1892.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by erudita74 »

Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by Debn1951 »

Thank you for your reply - the link you sent was my original post, and as you can see I am still stuck! I was hoping for information about arrivals in Italy in the early/mid 1920’s. Probably should have made that more clear in my query!
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by darkerhorse »

Have you looked through civil records for Ragusa, Sicily post-1920? He might have married, had children, or died? I suppose you checked his birth records for marginal notes?
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

Perhaps this is a clue?

His sister Maria married Lorenzo Crescenzi. I located their 1930 US Census in NY.
However, in 1925, on Lorenzo's Petition for Naturalization, he indicates that his wife Maria and their 2 children (both born in NYC) were currently residing in Ripi, Italy. This was Lorenzo's birthplace.

Possibility that maybe George/Emanuele Naviglia accompanied his sister back to Italy?
He was residing with Maria and Lorenzo on the 1920 US Census.

The petition
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2060123

T.
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by Debn1951 »

I think I checked the post-1920 Ragusa records a couple of years back, but I’m going to go through them again. I have his birth record and there are no notes on it.
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by Debn1951 »

Tessa78 I do have those records, and I also thought he may have traveled to Ripi with his sister and family (my grandparents). Unfortunately there are no Ripi records available on line. My cousin had hired a genealogist to look for him there, but nothing was found. Not sure how extensively the person looked.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by darkerhorse »

Do you have obituaries for Maria and Lorenzo?
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by Debn1951 »

I have a death certificate for Maria - she was in a mental hospital when she died and had been there for around 40 years. Lorenzo changed his name to Larry Colby and died in the 80’s I think. I don’t have his death certificate but I do have a family tree back to his grandparents. Were you thinking the obit would mention surviving relatives? I never saw an obit for either.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by darkerhorse »

Yes, I've seen obituaries in the U.S. which mention siblings in Italy.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Records of arrivals in Italy

Post by afecad »

darkerhorse wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 04:08 Yes, I've seen obituaries in the U.S. which mention siblings in Italy.
Agree, newspapers.com really helped me unlock a lot of answers on my family with respect to obituaries and etc..
Post Reply