birthdates off
- Pontiusmaximus
- Rookie

- Posts: 40
- Joined: 17 Jul 2016, 23:20
- Location: Auburn, California
birthdates off
I am researching in Borgetto, Sicily and have a question or at lease an opinion. I have found a death record in 1855 for a gentleman who according to the record was 60 years old at death, which would make his birth year about 1794/5. Noted is the wife's name, and his parents name. However in this time frame I did not find a baptismal record. I did find a record of baptism for a person of the same name with the same parents in 1787. I thought it possible that this person born in 1787 may have died and their following child was also named that as is tradition. But I searched for a death record and found none and again found no baptism recorded. My personal feeling is that the age given at death was close, as in 'about 60' and the one I found is likely the one. Any suggestions on how you'd handle this
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: birthdates off
I would conclude the same.
Ages were often misstated on records, likely due to ignorance, especially farther back in time.
Rounded ages (ending in o or 5) are prime candidates for guesses.
You could check to see who the informant was on the death record, assuming close relatives were more likely to know the exact age of the decedent, say compared to neighbors or record clerks who wouldn't be sure.
I've also seen mistakes in mother's surname when the informant wasn't a close relative. Even close relatives might be uncertain about ages, especially back then in a rural setting.
Ages were often misstated on records, likely due to ignorance, especially farther back in time.
Rounded ages (ending in o or 5) are prime candidates for guesses.
You could check to see who the informant was on the death record, assuming close relatives were more likely to know the exact age of the decedent, say compared to neighbors or record clerks who wouldn't be sure.
I've also seen mistakes in mother's surname when the informant wasn't a close relative. Even close relatives might be uncertain about ages, especially back then in a rural setting.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: birthdates off
In short, I think you've found the right baptism record.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: birthdates off
You also could double check the age on the death record - sessanta and settanta can look similar.