I think I've found two siblings birth records in indexes. ...but I can't for the life of me match up the index to the full page to be sure one way or another. Not sure if I've lost my mind or what, to be honest. Either I'm reading the full records wrong (possible!) or the page numbers don't line up (is that possible?). Can someone kind and sane and unbruised take a look?
If need be I'll do what I've been doing and read through the ~250 pages and find them manually, tomorrow, once I believe my eyes again. I was just so hopeful the indexes would at long last be a timesaver. Also hoping there's some explanation for what's going wrong here, either in me or the records.
Index: Page 56, Fraulo Giuseppe, Francesco e Lucia, ?? 29?, registro 36.
Full index image: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Page 56: I read Fiorentina. http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 7.jpg.html
Index: Page 56, Fraulo Maria, Francesco e ???, ??, registro 79.
Full index image: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Page 56: I swear it reads Pietro. http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 5.jpg.html
Edit after rereading Ann's angelresearch article: or did I figure out where on the page to look for the baby's name just in time to find a town that puts it somewhere else?
Can see success but not touch it
Can see success but not touch it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Can see success but not touch it
Birth act #34
Birth on 29 March
Giuseppe Fraulo
Mother: Lucia Longobardi
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Birth Act #84
Birth on 8 August
Maria Fraulo
I'm reading mother's name as Maria Bonaventura Cerrato...with a correction at the top of the page to Maria Bonaventura Giordano.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
T.
Birth on 29 March
Giuseppe Fraulo
Mother: Lucia Longobardi
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Birth Act #84
Birth on 8 August
Maria Fraulo
I'm reading mother's name as Maria Bonaventura Cerrato...with a correction at the top of the page to Maria Bonaventura Giordano.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
T.
Re: Can see success but not touch it
Aghh I needed to be taking the registro number from the index and using it as the page number/numero d'ordine. Knew I was doing something wrong tonight, sorry about that. Thank you very much for the help!
...now the next mystery is why Maria's mother's name is different in her birth record vs. her marriage record, hmm. Perhaps a death & her father remarried? Or I found the wrong Maria. Definitely the right brother though! One step closer to family tree nirvana!
...now the next mystery is why Maria's mother's name is different in her birth record vs. her marriage record, hmm. Perhaps a death & her father remarried? Or I found the wrong Maria. Definitely the right brother though! One step closer to family tree nirvana!
Re: Can see success but not touch it
Here is the rectification document from July 1886 making the correction to Maria's mother's name. Perhaps there is a clue there to help you determine if this is the correct MariaJPiedmont wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 06:45 Aghh I needed to be taking the registro number from the index and using it as the page number/numero d'ordine. Knew I was doing something wrong tonight, sorry about that. Thank you very much for the help!
...now the next mystery is why Maria's mother's name is different in her birth record vs. her marriage record, hmm. Perhaps a death & her father remarried? Or I found the wrong Maria. Definitely the right brother though! One step closer to family tree nirvana!
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Can you post a link to her marriage act?
T.
Re: Can see success but not touch it
Thank you, absolutely! Did the whole story and included everything else I have to work with just in case the full picture helps. For just the marriage record link, it's in red. Nice and distinctive!
My starting point (I'm still relatively early in researching this branch of the family) were documents filed by my great-grandmother, Josephine Castellano, with USCIS when she was filing for US citizenship. (See attachments 1 and 2)
I sat on those for a few years while working on other US records, but they eventually led me here to this wonderful forum full of helpful experienced folks such as yourself, and to the antenati portal. This was the next find, a birth record: Josephine Castellano #67- http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 8.jpg.html
No Italian marriage record for Josephine and Ralph/Raffaele Martucci (as far as I know) because they were married in Hoboken, New Jersey, on July 27, 1908, (see attachment 3) so I started looking for her parents' birth and marriage records.
Found their marriage the night before last: Giuseppe Francesco Castellano & Maria Giovanna Rubino Fraulo - #1 - http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 4.jpg.html
At long last I understand why there are so many different names for my great-great grandmother Maria! She went by Maria and Rubina and Ruby at various times in her life.
Giuseppe Castellano's a dead end for now because Positano has no online birth records between 1860 - 1865, and no death records at all after 1859. So I focused on Maria and any possible siblings, until I found those two index entries posted about earlier. I have no real personal knowledge to go on here, no family myths about multiple marriages or wives or stepmothers. Only way to narrow things down is accumulating records and judgement calls. Working on translating the rectification document now, thanks again!! Really appreciate the help.
My starting point (I'm still relatively early in researching this branch of the family) were documents filed by my great-grandmother, Josephine Castellano, with USCIS when she was filing for US citizenship. (See attachments 1 and 2)
I sat on those for a few years while working on other US records, but they eventually led me here to this wonderful forum full of helpful experienced folks such as yourself, and to the antenati portal. This was the next find, a birth record: Josephine Castellano #67- http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 8.jpg.html
No Italian marriage record for Josephine and Ralph/Raffaele Martucci (as far as I know) because they were married in Hoboken, New Jersey, on July 27, 1908, (see attachment 3) so I started looking for her parents' birth and marriage records.
Found their marriage the night before last: Giuseppe Francesco Castellano & Maria Giovanna Rubino Fraulo - #1 - http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 4.jpg.html
At long last I understand why there are so many different names for my great-great grandmother Maria! She went by Maria and Rubina and Ruby at various times in her life.
Giuseppe Castellano's a dead end for now because Positano has no online birth records between 1860 - 1865, and no death records at all after 1859. So I focused on Maria and any possible siblings, until I found those two index entries posted about earlier. I have no real personal knowledge to go on here, no family myths about multiple marriages or wives or stepmothers. Only way to narrow things down is accumulating records and judgement calls. Working on translating the rectification document now, thanks again!! Really appreciate the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Can see success but not touch it
Here is the birth act of Maria Giovanna Rubina Fraulo in 1859 in Minori
#72
Dated 1 July 1859 - birth appears to be 30 June 1859
Father: Francesco Fraulo, 28, laborer
Mother: Lucia Longobardo, 25, his wife
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
***
POSSIBLE sibling of Giuseppe Castellano - Gaetano Ciro Castellano, born 1868 in Positano.
Giving another generation back
#64
Birth on 7 November 1868
Father: Francesco Castellano, 38, boat owner/master (padrone di barca), son of Giuseppe
Mother: Fortunata Cuomo, 36, his wife, daughter of Luigi
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 1.jpg.html
T.
#72
Dated 1 July 1859 - birth appears to be 30 June 1859
Father: Francesco Fraulo, 28, laborer
Mother: Lucia Longobardo, 25, his wife
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
***
POSSIBLE sibling of Giuseppe Castellano - Gaetano Ciro Castellano, born 1868 in Positano.
Giving another generation back
#64
Birth on 7 November 1868
Father: Francesco Castellano, 38, boat owner/master (padrone di barca), son of Giuseppe
Mother: Fortunata Cuomo, 36, his wife, daughter of Luigi
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 1.jpg.html
T.
Re: Can see success but not touch it
Oh my gosh. Wow!! I had found the wrong Maria after all. Looks like Francesco even signed his own name!!!
I can't thank you enough.

Grazie mille!!
I can't thank you enough.
Re: Can see success but not touch it
Added more above!
Year not available for Giuseppe Castellano birth, but found a brother.

T.
Year not available for Giuseppe Castellano birth, but found a brother.
T.
Re: Can see success but not touch it
I was so bummed when I saw those years were missing I didn't have the motivation to start working around it, and not only did you, but you succeeded too! Words and emoji can't do my feelings justice.
I'm inspired to keep learning about my ancestors no matter what.
The story's coming together, bit by bit. A boat in the family perhaps explains how/why my great-great-grandfather was a sailor! Probably worked at sea with his father Francesco, maybe his brother Gaetano too. Wonder if they were fishermen like a lot of the town or broke the mold somehow, hmm.
The story's coming together, bit by bit. A boat in the family perhaps explains how/why my great-great-grandfather was a sailor! Probably worked at sea with his father Francesco, maybe his brother Gaetano too. Wonder if they were fishermen like a lot of the town or broke the mold somehow, hmm.
Re: Can see success but not touch it
Sometimes the most gratifying finds are those you work hardest for. 
Happy to help!
T.
Happy to help!
T.

