Missing marriage certificate / need to prove link from great grandfather to grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
streety22
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Aug 2021, 07:59

Missing marriage certificate / need to prove link from great grandfather to grandfather

Post by streety22 »

Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on my dual citizenship in Italy through my great grandfather for a few years. I’ve applied in the comune of Rome and been denied as I have a marriage application for my great grandfather but no certificate. Ancestry says they are married but I cannot track down the actual certificate are proving the marriage.

I have all documents ready, this is the missing link. A lawyer recommended tracking down a declaration of birth of my grandfather. I have his birth certificate from Pennsylvania but it has no signature, so doesn’t “verify” the connection from father to son (great grandfather to grandfather).

I was also recommended to find a will of my great grandfather but there is no record of this.

I feel at a standstill. I’m not sure what to do next to prove this lineage. Has anyone been in this situation or have advice?

I should note that I am an American citizen living in Rome and applying here in Italy. I do not want to have to take it to court here in Rome.

Grazie!!!
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Missing marriage certificate / need to prove link from great grandfather to grandfather

Post by Italysearcher »

Have you checked church records. An application or licence isn't a marriage.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
JPiedmont
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 09 Jul 2021, 02:02

Re: Missing marriage certificate / need to prove link from great grandfather to grandfather

Post by JPiedmont »

Can you post more information? Specifically the documentation and all information you have for your grandfather and great-grandfather. Ancestry says they are married - what does that mean exactly? Did you see that in a relative's family tree, or does the paid records portion of the site have some sort of record of the marriage?

I specialize in American records and am just recently getting acquainted with Italian vital records, but whether it's here or there we'll all need the same information in order to give the most appropriate advice. And sometimes people here even go out and find the Italian records you need!
Post Reply