Applying for Citizenship through Residency and Italian Ancestry: Question about Documentation Discrepency

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
johncrosetti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 14:44

Applying for Citizenship through Residency and Italian Ancestry: Question about Documentation Discrepency

Post by johncrosetti »

Buongiorno a tutti,

As mentioned in a previous post, I am in the process of applying for Italian naturalization through my residency (after 3 years since my grandfather was born an Italian citizen).

I have found a slight discrepancy between the birth certificate from the comune where he was born and the marriage and death certificates I obtained from California. The dates align with one another, but there is a slight variation in his name. According to the birth certificate, he was born as Attilio Giovanni Battista Crosetti (Giovanni Battista was his father's name). On his California vital certificates, he goes only by Attilio Crosetti. Is anyone aware as to what degree this could be problematic?

One positive thing is that his parents are identified the same on the birth (Italian document) and death (U.S. document) certificates, so it should remove some doubt as to whether it is the same person.

As always, any and all feedback are appreciated!

Grazie e a presto!

John
User avatar
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42
Location: USA

Re: Applying for Citizenship through Residency and Italian Ancestry: Question about Documentation Discrepency

Post by qualdom »

All I can say from my experience dealing with dual citizenship in multiple counties is that there is a certain type of clerk/consular official/registrar who will turn any issue into something problematic....and it doesn't matter how sound your arguments are or how much supporting evidence you have.

The safest approach would be to correct all discrepancies on all vital records. However, I understand that you live in Italy and that would mostly likely be an arduous and expensive task.

I've read that the consulates in the USA have really cracked down on any and all discrepancies. The courts (1948 cases) would likely be the most lenient. I haven't really read much about how strict officials are when people are applying in Italy via an administrative process.

I wish you the best of luck.
Post Reply