I'm searching for anything and everything on the Voglino family, my ancestors through whom I can claim Italian citizenship. They are known to have resided in Costigliole d'Asti. I need help locating birth and marriage certificates for them.
The timeline is as follows:
Bartolomeo Voglino, my GGGF, was born between 1850-58, probably in Asti or Cuneo, Piedmont. His father was likely named Giovanni. He married my GGGM, Clara Mussotto, sometime in the late 1880s or early 90s, based on the ca. 1892 birth of their eldest known child Jessie. Daughter Jessie's name comes from the 1910 US Census, where her parents and siblings are living with her and her husband Secondo Passarino. I assume it was short for Jessica. Baccio and Clara probably got married in the vicinity of Asti, but I don't know for sure.
Clara Mussotto was born ca. 1866, as she was 39 in 1905. I don't know where, but I assume it was in Piedmont, in the vicinity of Asti and Cuneo.
Giovanni Voglino, my GGF, was born June 7, 1900, probably in Costigliole d'Asti, which was the family's last place of residence before immigrating. He was their only son. Bartolomeo came over to America in early 1905, and Clara followed with Giovanni and one of his sisters later that year. They settled in Merced, California. Great-Grandpa Giovanni changed his name to the English John after crossing the pond, and his son was John Jr, my Grandpa John. Grandpa John was later adopted by his stepdad around age 7 and his last name changed from Voglino to something else. Hopefully the SF consulate won't mind the lack of adoption papers, because they're sealed tight in California, and all the parents are known.
I don't know where to start with Italian records as I don't speak the language. I may be able to afford to pay someone to help me in the future, but I can't right now. Even to be pointed in the right direction would be helpful. Ancestry.com has given me all it has, and FamilySearch didn't have much. Thanks in advance.
Voglino family - Asti and Cuneo, Piedmont
-
CarlottafromCali
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 09 Oct 2021, 02:43
Re: Voglino family - Asti and Cuneo, Piedmont
Here is the ten-year index 1896-1905 for Costigliole D'Asti, and Giovanni Voglino is not there, nor any child of Bartolomeo
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
- joetucciarone
- Elite

- Posts: 498
- Joined: 03 Jun 2012, 22:28
- Location: Cocoa, Florida
Re: Voglino family - Asti and Cuneo, Piedmont
Hi - Did you know there's a place named "Mussotto" about a third of the way from Asti to Cuneo? Look closely in the middle of this map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/12051 ... d8.0161043
Here's the same area on an 1862-1876 map. If you look carefully near the center, you can also see "Mussotto" just above the bend in the river:
https://maps.arcanum.com/en/map/europe- ... Hr4fqtJbhk
Mussotto is about 2 miles northwest of Alba.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/12051 ... d8.0161043
Here's the same area on an 1862-1876 map. If you look carefully near the center, you can also see "Mussotto" just above the bend in the river:
https://maps.arcanum.com/en/map/europe- ... Hr4fqtJbhk
Mussotto is about 2 miles northwest of Alba.
