Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
chiachio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Feb 2019, 04:35

Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by chiachio »

Through my research my paternal great-grandfather emigrated to the U.S.A. from Italy in around 1877 through New York. He married Mary Lee 1871-1935 (born Ellsworth) after her short, failed marriage to Henry Lee in around 1890. The only name I know for him is Michael Rose. Michael and Mary had four children; Charles, James (my grandfather), Lena & Clara. I have spent over 20 years trying to identify his birth-name and place, but due to my lack of further information have been unsuccessful.

Any help from those with experience would be greatly appreciated...
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by Tessa78 »

According to the 1900 US Census, Mike Rose declared that he arrived in 1877 and that he had filed papers.
Naturalization papers at that time held very little information, unfortunately.
Since Mary Ellsworth was born in PA, and they were living in PA in 1900, this MAY be a naturalization record for your GGF, Michael Rose.
On this record he signs twice... as Michele Rosa (form in this name,) AND as Michael Rose.
So birth name POSSIBLY Michele Rosa.
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... pId=610607

https://i.postimg.cc/4xqd0VcX/007796871-01456.jpg

T.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by suanj »

Hi by the genealogic tree on ancestry.com the Michael birthyear is 1867 .. You can confirm?
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by suanj »

Because he arrived on 1877, he went in USA with his parents... so need to find the parents..
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
chiachio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Feb 2019, 04:35

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by chiachio »

Hello suanj,

Unfortunately I'm not able to confirm his birth-year. All that I've been able to locate has been regarding his marriage to Mary Ellsworth. I've only been able to find him in census records from 1900-1940. Through a distant relative on facebook, I was told that they thought that he had emigrated from Italy at the age of 10 in around 1877, but I haven't been able to confirm any of this. Thank you very-much for your interest.
Cordially,
chiachio
chiachio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Feb 2019, 04:35

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by chiachio »

Hello Tessa78,

Thank you so much for locating this document for me! I had assumed that this might-have been his birth-name as it would be the reasonable choice to then Americanize it to Michael Rose. I have never been fortunate enough to find this, or any other document regarding him. I had also assumed that he may have arrived at Ellis Island, and am surprised that the document is from Pittsburg. I can't thank you enough for your time and effort, as it's more than I've been able to find in hundred's of hours of searching...

Gratefully Your's,
chiachio
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by suanj »

On 1905 the family was in Newark, NJ
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AKMWB-S4T
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by suanj »

Well the surname could have many versions in Italian spelling... LA ROSA -DELLA ROSA- DI ROSA- DE ROSA and ROSA also
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by Tessa78 »

chiachio wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 18:26 Hello Tessa78,

Thank you so much for locating this document for me! I had assumed that this might-have been his birth-name as it would be the reasonable choice to then Americanize it to Michael Rose. I have never been fortunate enough to find this, or any other document regarding him. I had also assumed that he may have arrived at Ellis Island, and am surprised that the document is from Pittsburg. I can't thank you enough for your time and effort, as it's more than I've been able to find in hundred's of hours of searching...

Gratefully Your's,
chiachio
Ellis Island officially opened in 1892. Prior to that ships arriving to New York came through Castle Garden.
Your ancestor may well have entered the USA through New York.

The document I posted was a Naturalization record. This would most likely have been applied for in the State/County within which your ancestor lived. Hence, Pennsylvania.

I noticed that the family lived in several locations (including the Essex, NJ mentioned by suanj :) above)

Some additional information about immigrant arrival to New York Ports
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ne ... mmigration

T.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by suanj »

suanj wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 19:16 Well the surname could have many versions in Italian spelling... LA ROSA -DELLA ROSA- DI ROSA- DE ROSA and ROSA also
Adding: Rosi, Rossi, Rosato, Rosati, etc etc etc
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Loving_Life_2
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Feb 2018, 00:30
Location: Upper Chichester, PA

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by Loving_Life_2 »

Hello suanj,

Yes, you're absolutely right as this is the entire family which includes my grandfather. Thank you for bringing this document to my attention. I don't understand how I've had so little luck finding this after so many years of searching. So-far today I've spent 4 hours searching for anything regarding him previous to his marriage to my great grandmother without any luck whatsoever. I am grateful to you for the time and effort that you've spent in locating this for me..

Cordially Your's...
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by suanj »

Rosa surname is very popular... the his signature on probable naturalization paper on 1889, signed Rose/Rosa, well is no a evidence that his surname was Rosa in italian, because could be that he signed with the surname in use in USA. I don't know if the naturalization paper posted is of right Michele... If Michele was born on 1867, well to go in USA on 1877, he was 10 old, so he travelled with parents.... And why he is no on 1880 census? I searched many times and no result. Why he landed in Pennsylvania? He had some relative in this area?

Instead I think that he arrived on 1887 or so, the problem is to be sure abt surname and to know almost the mother maiden name so we can have a idea of what part of Italy he came from...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
chiachio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Feb 2019, 04:35

Re: Searching for Birth-Name Of Great Grandfather

Post by chiachio »

Somehow my 2nd cousin saw that another distant relative claimed that Michele Rosa was from Cercemaggiore, but in searches that I've done I don't find any born in 1867, so this may be inaccurate. I did notice many in the Campobasso area using the surname Rosa around that time frame, its an absolute needle in a haystack...
Post Reply