Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
krotelli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Sep 2021, 11:44

Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by krotelli »

Hello,

My name is Kyle Anthony Rotelli - I am attempting to obtain my Great Grandmothers place of birth. I have my Great Grandfathers Birth Certificate but cannot locate my great grandmother Assunta d'Ascoli.

It is marked on paperwork when she emigrated to the USA as Serino, Italy. I have been able to track down her siblings as well as parents birth certificates (all within Serino) however when I reach out to the commune theyhave no record of Assunta.

Does anyone have any recommendations on an avenue I could take to garner a place of birth and birth certificate?

Please not in addition to the above, on her marriage certificate to my Great Grandfather her place of birth is marked as Serino, Italy.

Cheers,

Kyle
User avatar
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite
Posts: 498
Joined: 03 Jun 2012, 22:28
Location: Cocoa, Florida

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Kyle - Could this be your great-grandmother on the June 9, 1891 manifest of the steamship Gergovia? Passenger #73 on the following page is 10-year-old Assunta D'Ascoli. Just before her are 15-year-old Biagio D'Ascoli and 14-year-old Sabato D'Ascoli:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... AQVS2-L8Y6

Also, someone has an Assunta D'Ascoli (born on November 6, 1880 in Serino) in their Ancestry family tree. Is that your tree?
User avatar
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite
Posts: 498
Joined: 03 Jun 2012, 22:28
Location: Cocoa, Florida

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi again - I found the obituary of the Assunta D'Ascoli in the family tree I mentioned in my previous post. The obituary is in the April 5, 1955 issue of the Providence Journal (Rhode Island). It said she was born on January 7, 1880 in Serino, Province of Avellino. It also said she immigrated in 1890 and settled in Providence. The newspaper said her mother was Filomena Ingino and her father was Domenico D'Ascoli. It also said her husband was Anthony Rotelli, and that they had four sons: Andrew, Ernest, Thomas and Anthony. And they had two daughters.

I hope this is helpful.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by erudita74 »

The birth records for Serino are on the antenati website. I went through the birth records and found no evidence of Assunta being born there.
Erudita
krotelli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Sep 2021, 11:44

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by krotelli »

Thank you both erudita74 & joetucciarone - @joetucciarone yes that is my great grandmother.

I reach out to the Commune of Serino and they have no record of Assunta, maybe she is under a different name? Maria Assunta?

Any recommendations on courses of action to take to narrow a search for her birth certificate?
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by erudita74 »

I checked for Maria Assunta as well as for Assunta. I also noticed that in Serino, there was the surname Ascoli as well as D'Ascoli so I checked both. I also checked San Michele Serino as well as Santa Lucia Serino. Those records are online at the antenati website and there indexes for most if not all of the years. So you should have a look yourself.

related thread:

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic/51844
krotelli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Sep 2021, 11:44

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by krotelli »

Thanks @erudita74 - the trouble is I do not read Italian so I am having trouble navigating the page.
krotelli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Sep 2021, 11:44

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by krotelli »

Thanks for your kind help - very much appreciated
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by erudita74 »

You don't need to read Italian to go through the index or indices for the various types of records in each year. I tried to give you the link to view the Serino 1880 birth index, but pasting and copying the url from the recently revised antenati website didn't work for me. My only thoughts at this point are that possibly the birth was never registered or that there was a delayed registration some years later. I haven't found evidence of a delayed registration though. I also think that, if such was the case, the town itself would have communicated that info to you.
Erudita
User avatar
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite
Posts: 498
Joined: 03 Jun 2012, 22:28
Location: Cocoa, Florida

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Kyle,

As Erudita pointed out, Assunta D’Ascoli is absent from any of the Serino birth records. But you haven’t mentioned her arrival in the United States, so I’m posting a link to the eighth page of the June 9, 1891 manifest for the steamship Gergovia:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... AQVS2-L8Y6

On this page, the names of the passengers in rows 69 through 76 are as follows:

Liberato Cimino (Cirino?) age 35
moglie Filomena age 34
Biagio D’Ascoli age15
Sabato D’Ascoli age 14
Assunta D’Ascoli age 10
Antonio Cirino age 7
fratello Antonio age 3
fratello Liberato age 3 months

Obviously, the names and ages of the people in this group are the same as those you’ve shared, plus those on a family tree on the Ancestry.com site. I would investigate Liberato Cimino (Cirino?); for example, does he appear in any of the Serino records? I would also research the names of the other passengers on this page. By 1891, it wasn’t uncommon for large numbers of unrelated Italians, who hailed from the same comune, to emigrate together. Maybe some of the names will point you toward Serino, or possibly to another town, which might be important in your search.

Good luck!
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by erudita74 »

For your info, Joe- Maria Carmina Ingino married Liberato Cirino in Serino on July 12, 1883, record #27. The record refers to her as a widow but doesn't give any additional info re her previous marriage, and there are no references to her children from her previous marriage.
User avatar
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite
Posts: 498
Joined: 03 Jun 2012, 22:28
Location: Cocoa, Florida

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Erudita - thanks for the information about Liberato. It helps reconstruct the family's history. Another thing I've found useful in discovering family history is researching newspaper archives. These sometimes yield interesting things about a family's day-to-day life. In the Providence, Rhode Island archives, I found that in 1906 Liberato Cirino et ux Filomena (meaning, "and wife Filomena") sold a Vinton Street property for $2,500, a very large sum at that time. Later, on December 14, 1916 in the Providence County courthouse, the following document was recorded:

"Assunta D'Ascoli Rottelli vs. Antonio Cirino, executor, et al. By agreement of the parties the court directs the jury to return a verdict sustaining the will of Filomena Cirino, deceased. Cooney & Cahill and Bellin & Bellin for the appellant; Antonio Capotosto and Jospeh Veneziale for the executor."

After this, Liberato continued real estate transactions on his Vinton Street property (properties). He sold "a lot and buildings" there to Antonio Cirino in January 1918. In August 1920, he sold another Vinton Street parcel with "lot and buildings" to Carlo Lauro, et ux. Giovannina. Finally, in December 1921, "Liberato Cirino et al" sold two lots on Gloucester Street and River Avenue to Dominic D'Ascoli for $1. In many areas, $1 was the minimum price allowable to execute a property deed. Transferring a substantial property for $1 was the legal way for one person to essentially give property to another person as a gift.

Kyle, I know this doesn't help your original search, but it might help you fill out your family's history.

Good luck.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by mmogno »

erudita74 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 14:49 For your info, Joe- Maria Carmina Ingino married Liberato Cirino in Serino on July 12, 1883, record #27. The record refers to her as a widow but doesn't give any additional info re her previous marriage, and there are no references to her children from her previous marriage.
From the Pubblicazioni (https://www.antenati.san.beniculturali. ... _id=653812) pag.17.
Domenico D'Ascoli, first husband of Maria Carmina Ingino, had died on August 6, 1882 in Serino.
Image
https://iiif-antenati.san.beniculturali ... efault.jpg
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Place of Birth for my Great Grandmother

Post by erudita74 »

@mmogno
Thanks for posting the marriage publication, G. I had seen it on the antenati website before I had to leave earlier.

@joe-yes, I have found some very interesting info re my husband's ancestors, and my own, in U.S. newspapers, but I currently don't have access to any to help others with their research.

Erudita
Post Reply