I don't have any children. Just thinking about ease of travel between the US & Italy if I were ever to do so...
[/quote]
Many benefits depending on what you plan to do other than travel. For us, if it happens in the next 20 years, we can live and work anywhere in the EU without needing a Visa or a work permit. If retired, the healthcare benefits will be far less than in the US.
We have children, and higher education cost in the EU is very low in comparison. The cultural benefit, even if they decide to go to school there and return to the US is a benefit.
My Wife has to pass B1 Italian as a requirement though or she can choose to not become a citizen. Myself and our children do not, they are all automatic because they will be under the age of 18.
There are also property buying advantages in Italy, but I do not know the details.
The state of the US and the political system, though Europe has it's issues as well, also is good reasoning for us to have options.


