Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by afecad »

qualdom wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 18:24
I called the Northumberland County Prothonotary's office a few months ago and whoever answered told me that the Prothonotary was no longer going to respond to written requests for naturalization records. People who are looking for records would have to come into the office and do the search themselves.

I'm guessing that they were deluged with requests during the pandemic and decided it was too much.
Good to know, I did see this listed on their web page after you mentioned it.


"Notice: Effective January 1, 2022
This Office will no longer be doing Naturalization Searches."

If ICA cannot obtain these (I have been told the made several inquiries), it looks like I'll have to make a stop there when I get into the area but with the pandemic, I'm not sure when that will be? Looks like these are the only outstanding documents for my case.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by afecad »

qualdom wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 18:24
I called the Northumberland County Prothonotary's office a few months ago and whoever answered told me that the Prothonotary was no longer going to respond to written requests for naturalization records. People who are looking for records would have to come into the office and do the search themselves.

I'm guessing that they were deluged with requests during the pandemic and decided it was too much.
ICA just informed me today that they were in contact with the Prothonotary and that they are going to complete the search for both my great-grandparents naturalization records and send any findings directly to their US office. Though they listed they are no longer doing this, apparently ICA had made the request and a payment, back in the Fall. Hopefully they will follow through with this once and for all.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by afecad »

Update

ICA provided an update this morning that the Northumberland County Prothonotary located my Great-Grandfather's Naturalization Documents, but none for my Great-Grandmother. So the Census records were correct and this is a 1948 case as initially presumed by ICA and we will obtain "No record found".

I have to update my own PA Birth Certificate due to a spelling correction in the line, suspect the uptick in Covid cases will cause some more delays but after that the list of documents will be complete. Maybe 2023 is looking like a possibility? Especially with the new law passed this past year regarding courts for processing no longer need to be held in Rome, but I'm sure they have their preferred court.
User avatar
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42
Location: USA

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by qualdom »

afecad wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 00:16 Update

ICA provided an update this morning that the Northumberland County Prothonotary located my Great-Grandfather's Naturalization Documents, but none for my Great-Grandmother. So the Census records were correct and this is a 1948 case as initially presumed by ICA and we will obtain "No record found".

I have to update my own PA Birth Certificate due to a spelling correction in the line, suspect the uptick in Covid cases will cause some more delays but after that the list of documents will be complete. Maybe 2023 is looking like a possibility? Especially with the new law passed this past year regarding courts for processing no longer need to be held in Rome, but I'm sure they have their preferred court.
What year did your GGF naturalize? Was it prior to September 1906 and that is why USCIS didn't have a record?
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by afecad »

qualdom wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 02:13

What year did your GGF naturalize? Was it prior to September 1906 and that is why USCIS didn't have a record?
I don't know for sure? They are sending a copy to ICA, but it's possible. I know he arrived at Ellis Island in 1905, but there are some dates on the manifest under "have you visited the United States before", stating he visited the US prior, but it's hard to tell.
david62
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 21 Jan 2022, 08:14

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by david62 »

In reality, you don't need a lawyer to petition a court though.
User avatar
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42
Location: USA

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by qualdom »

david62 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 09:06 In reality, you don't need a lawyer to petition a court though.
It depends on the jurisdiction. It was easy for me to file in Philadelphia in pro se because they have an e-filing system and the clerks are informative and helpful.

However, I tried to file a petition once in Lackawanna County, PA.....and I would not do that again without an attorney.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by afecad »

david62 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 09:06 In reality, you don't need a lawyer to petition a court though.
Wasn't an option in my case and county of record in PA.
clwescottnyc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Feb 2022, 23:27

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by clwescottnyc »

I'm also in this boat(puns4dayz) where my GF's birth certificate has anglo names for my GGM and GGF. I was hoping to self file. It's Eastern PA, Susquehanna County originally. Not sure what court I have to do it in, I'm slightly quick on legal briefs and understandings.

I noticed mention of Italian Birth Certificates, but I do have PA certified copies of their Marriage License and Petition for Naturalization showing their Italian first name along with listing my GF on the info. I would hope this would be enough.

Currently have my GGF Italian birth certificate, but awaiting what's been a year plus now on a birth certificate being pulled from the archives.

Any template for petitioning would be great. I had messaged afecad already about the attorney they used. I noticed the court order seems easier than dealing with DOH. I was hoping to do it myself, but navigating DOH might be the headache to avoid.

How much did it cost those who used an attorney?
SteveS
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 13 Feb 2022, 23:18

Re: Help - Correcting Birth Certificate in PA

Post by SteveS »

qualdom wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 18:24
I called the Northumberland County Prothonotary's office a few months ago and whoever answered told me that the Prothonotary was no longer going to respond to written requests for naturalization records. People who are looking for records would have to come into the office and do the search themselves.

Yeah, I've also talked with the the Northumberland County Prothonotary and they're not enthusiastic about these requests.

On the other hand, if you have to get birth or marriage records the Northumberland County Orphan's Court (essentially the family court for the jurisdiction) is really helpful. They helped me file a written request and turned around some marriage records in two days.

Though I didn't need it, they also have a part-time person on their staff who is available for paid research on the side.

Also, the Northumberland County Historical Society is back in operation, and they have a lot of information at their disposal.

https://www.northumberlandcountyhistori ... y-research

They advertise general genealogical searches for $40 , and say they have someone authorized to access the Northumberland County court records for custom research.

At the moment (March '22) they're just opening the place up and getting organized again so their response to email has been very slow, but if you have a specific question, they might be a good go-to.
Post Reply