Apostille from Italy question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
KTGbgr
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Jan 2022, 03:47

Apostille from Italy question

Post by KTGbgr »

I'm going to be writing requests to the comuni of my grandfather's and grandmother's birthplaces for their birth certificates. Would I be asking the comuni for the apostilles to be attached to the certificates at the same time? I'm a bit muddled about that!

Thanks in advance.
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Apostille from Italy question

Post by JamesM »

The documents that are procured from Italy will not need am apostille, if using at an Italian embassy or consulate.
cedrone
Master
Master
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Feb 2020, 22:01

Re: Apostille from Italy question

Post by cedrone »

The certificates can be made also on a multilingual form, useful if they must be presented to a foreign Authority.
I can not verify if the US signed this convention, however I think certificates could be accepted in the case you need to ask a correction of a name or date on an US record.
User avatar
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42
Location: USA

Re: Apostille from Italy question

Post by qualdom »

cedrone wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 16:03 The certificates can be made also on a multilingual form, useful if they must be presented to a foreign Authority.
I can not verify if the US signed this convention, however I think certificates could be accepted in the case you need to ask a correction of a name or date on an US record.
No, the USA has not signed this convention, and Italy will refuse to put an apostille on a multilingual certificate (I had a problem with this last year).

So if you need to use an Italian record in the USA or another non-signatory country of the Vienna Convention of 8 September 1976, you have to obtain a regular certificato or estratto and obtain an apostille from the Prefettura in the proper province.
cedrone
Master
Master
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Feb 2020, 22:01

Re: Apostille from Italy question

Post by cedrone »

OK, so the apostille should be made from the Prefettura.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Apostille from Italy question

Post by suanj »

As far as I know, but certainly I can be wrong, but as far as I know about it :

the birth certificate (Estratto, or Multilingual Estratto)of italian ancestor, helpful for dual citizenship application, don't need the apostille, please to remember that the apostille is no requested on a italian certificate wich must be presented in Italy or by a Italian Consulate in foreign Country.
The Country involved in this operation is just 1, the Italy, because also the italian Consulate representing the Italy in foreign Country. Ok?

Instead, if the certificate is a applicant's birth/marriage/divorce foreign certificate, or of some relative of applicant (exemple: wife or children), who apply also for italian citizenship in same application in a italian consulate in foreign country, it needs of Apostille. And as the foreign certificate must be traduct officially in italian language so also the his apostille.
Because in this case 2 Countries are involved:
USA ( for exemple) and Italy.
So a US certificate need of apostille because need to be transcribed and filed in the Italian registers of Italian citizens residing abroad (A.I.R.E.), so the italian descendent who applied for italian citizenship became officially a italian citizen residing abroad. If this descendent need of a his italian birth certificate, so relayed from the italian Commune who recognized his italian citizenship, he can request a italian birth certificate, relayed from the Commune, where it is wrote that he was born in New York (for exemple) on the.. son of... etc etc...
---------------------------------------------------
But when a italian birth certificate of italian ancestor need of Apostille (in the Prefettura, but also are many agencies, on the web, that make apostille in the Prefettura and the official translation in foreign language)?

Just if the applicant wish to correct in his Country, on his birth/ marriage/divorce certificates, his italian surname, because in the years the spelling became most wrong.

In this case to make that, he need of a italian ancestor's birth certificate apostilled and with official translations in foreign language. This apostilled birth/marriage,divorce certificates and their traductions are no for the request of italian citizenship, but just to amend the vital record certificates of applicants following the right procedure, to this purpose in his Country. Then, with his amended surname on his certificates, having the right italian surname spelling wrote on, can proceed for the italian citizenship application.

This case is very rare, because the Italian Consulate know and bypass some little spelling error in the applicant surname, and also accept the affidavit One And The Same, if the italian ancestor name on the certificates is slightly different, for exemple Antonio, Tonio, Anthony, Tony, and ditto abt the surname, but sometimes it is necessary.
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cedrone
Master
Master
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Feb 2020, 22:01

Re: Apostille from Italy question

Post by cedrone »

Yes, I agree with you.
In my preceding post I referred to the multilingual certificate, used in the Countries that signed that convention  (as qualdom said, USA didn't signed it).
This certificate doesn't require the apostille by the Prefettura and the translation is included in the certificate itself.
As you say the translation is not required by the Italian consulate, but may be required by the Country where the applicant lives.
I refer particularly to Argentina. The applicant, before going to the consulate, should ask a certificate of 'no citizenship' of Argentina, and for this he presents the multilingual certificate: otherwise the certificate should be translated in Argentina by an authorized translator.
KTGbgr
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Jan 2022, 03:47

Re: Apostille from Italy question

Post by KTGbgr »

OK, so I don't need to get apostilles attached to my grandmother's or grandfather's birth certificates, since I'll be handing them over to the Italian government—in my case, the Italian Consulate in Boston.

All the other documents from the US—grandparent's marriage certificate, MY parent's marriage certificate, MY marriage certificate, my father and mother's birth certificate, my birth certificate, my grandfather's certificate of non-existence from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, each of my grandparent's death certificates, and each of my parent's death certificates all need apostilles. And translations. Whew.

The name issue is concerning me. I have a copy of a document from my Lustra's Ufficio di Stato Civile that my grandfather needed as proof that he was born there when he was getting married in NYC. He and his father are referred in it as "Tenca", which is probably the only place the name is not "Tenga"—which is what's on every single document I found, and our family name. I'm hoping his actual birth certificate is spelled the latter way. It'll be one less thing to worry about :?

Thanks for all of your help, everyone!
Post Reply