My Generation

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Post Reply
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

My Generation

Post by darkerhorse »

In common usage, a generation usually refers to those born in the same period, like the baby boom generation, born 1946-1964. When I say someone is my generation I mean they were born in the same time period as me.

However, in genealogy, I usually think of a generation has including those on the same level in a family tree, no matter what their age differences.

My father and his maternal 1st cousins were born over a 30-year period. He was 29 years older than his youngest maternal 1st cousin. In fact, I was 4 years older than my father's youngest maternal 1st cousin.

My question is what the definition of generation is in genealogy, and whether there's another term in genealogy, other than generation, to refer to those on the same level of a family tree, regardless of age?
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: My Generation

Post by darkerhorse »

Is that cousin my generation or my father's generation?

I think of him as my father's generation, but if he wasn't a relative I'd think of him as my generation.

My father also had an aunt who was only 6 years older than him. I don't recall if he thought of her as an aunt or more like a cousin.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: My Generation

Post by MarcuccioV »

I guess it depends on how you're trying to categorize those ancestors. I have a genetic match (3rd cousin 1x removed) who is approximately my age, however has an extra gen (making him 1x removed) between himself and our MRCA.

I still consider him "my generation" despite the fact that as far as generations of ancestors go, he is the generation behind me.

So I think it's more a matter of opinion than anything else. No right or wrong answers, just however you prefer to look at it...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: My Generation

Post by darkerhorse »

Within the context of genealogy I've been using the terms my generation, my father's generation, my grandfather's generation, etc. meaning where they fall on the family tree, not their birth year.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: My Generation

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 18:52 Within the context of genealogy I've been using the terms my generation, my father's generation, my grandfather's generation, etc. meaning where they fall on the family tree, not their birth year.
If that works for your purposes, then that's the right answer for you. I prefer to do more of a "birth year range" format since not all the previous gens line up (some are off quite a bit). That's what works best for me.

In the end it's all semantics anyway... :wink:
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: My Generation

Post by darkerhorse »

I believe it's more than semantics.

Degree of blood relationship is determined by generation as I've defined it, not by closeness of age.

So, for genealogy, I think that makes more sense.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: My Generation

Post by MarcuccioV »

It's all in the context, I suppose...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: My Generation

Post by darkerhorse »

I've been avoiding the term "removed".

For example, instead of "1st cousin once-removed" I've been going with "my father's 1st cousin" or "my father's generation".

That seems to resonate better with those not familiar with genealogy.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: My Generation

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 21:49 I've been avoiding the term "removed".

For example, instead of "1st cousin once-removed" I've been going with "my father's 1st cousin" or "my father's generation".

That seems to resonate better with those not familiar with genealogy.
Yes, that makes sense. I don't mind using the term since it's common on genealogical sites. I don't really stray very far beyond that as most of my family members don't have the same focus that I do...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: My Generation

Post by darkerhorse »

No one has the same focus.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: My Generation

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 23:12 No one has the same focus.
Concordato.
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: My Generation

Post by darkerhorse »

I think young Don Vito said "semu d'accordu" or something similar.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: My Generation

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 03:27 I think young Don Vito said "semu d'accordu" or something similar.
"Siamo d'accordo" (we agree) in our dialect. Concordato is "agreed"...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: My Generation

Post by darkerhorse »

I think "semu" (siamo) is Sicilian, or at least in Siracusa province.

Your dialect looks the same as proper Italian.
Post Reply