Misspelling and translation question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
KTGbgr
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Jan 2022, 03:47

Misspelling and translation question

Post by KTGbgr »

I need a few more things clarified, though I'm sure they've been answered somewhere in the comments along the way.

1. When I ask for my GF's birth certificate, how would I ask for proof that his last name in every single record (both in Italy and the U.S.) is spelled one way (Tenga), and it might be misspelled on his birth certificate as "Tenca"? I figure it'll be a lot easier (and less expensive) to ask for the record/correction from Italy rather than the dozen or so from the U.S.

Apparently Lustra hasn't digitized its Atti di Nascita from 1886 yet. All I have a copy of a letter the registry office wrote in order for my grandparents to get married in NYC that states what the record says, and it's spelled the "Tenca" way... though I think at the bottom it may be spelled "Tenga". I'm going to have to upload the letter and put it in the translation board.

If someone out there knows how to ask for the misspelling to be clarified in Italian, I'd appreciate the translation.

2. When I gather all my US documents and apostilles together, is it sufficient for a native/fluent speaker to translate it, or does there have to be some sort of proof or certification that they're qualified, even if the people going over the papers can understand it completely? If so, would I need that certification for each document, or would one cover all of them? Does the translator have to be known by the embassy (Boston in my case), or could an Italian language professor be alright... and what would proving their fluency entail?

Thanks again!
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Misspelling and translation question

Post by suanj »

In Lustra the surname was and is present in two versions: Tenga and Tenca.
I don't know if I understand correctly, but if you got the birth certificate from Lustra, and it says TENGA on it, you cannot ask for any corrections. The civil records officer transcribes the surname exactly as it was written at the time of the birth declaration on the Lustra birth register in 1886. You cannot prove that the civil records officer was wrong you should have proof that he was wrong in reading the original birth record on the original birth register of 1886 .
If you go to this site,
https://www. Archiviodistatosalerno.beniculturali.it/ricerche/ricerche-anagrafiche

and click on "Ricerca in liste di leva (*)" (Search in leverage list), a new page opens and then click on "filtri di ricerca" (search filters) and then in the first row of "Cognome/Surname" box choose in the box on the side "Uguale a/equal to" and write once Tenga and once Tenca. and see the results, see your ancestor there are everyone's parents' names and data.
And from there you can understand the original surname if it matches the one on the birth certificate.

It is a test that you also do for your own conviction.
However, surnames in Italy are not corrected so easily, and the civil records officer can correct or even redo a birth certificate, but only if it differs from the 1886 birth record.

Of course you cannot prove it, you should request a full copy of the 'birth record to the Salerno archive, by email and check if the civil records officer made a mistake in transcribing the surname. It happened to me once that a civil records officer wrote the father's name with a surname different from that of the daughter ... So it can happen that there is a carelessness, but you have to try it, it takes proof and the proof can come from full copy at the Salerno archive and also from research in the draft lists.

However I don't think you don't have a big problem ...
You just have to make an affidavitONE AND THE SAME stating that XXX TENGA and XXX TENCA are "one and the same person" and with this affidavit you solve every problem.
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Misspelling and translation question

Post by suanj »

abt#2 some Italian Consulate wish a official translator and the same Consulate give you the his name...

some other no, and it is enough a good translator fluent in italian language and you don't need of a certification by the translator, because the italian Consulate as soon read the translation understand soon if it is a good translation or no and in this case ask you better translations and this is a damage for you, for the new cost and for the time because you will ask a new appointment ...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
KTGbgr
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Jan 2022, 03:47

Re: Misspelling and translation question

Post by KTGbgr »

Thank you, suanj!
KTGbgr
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Jan 2022, 03:47

Re: Misspelling and translation question

Post by KTGbgr »

Is there anything in this document that addresses the Tenga-Tenca issue? And would that be done at the Comune?
Toward the bottom I think I see the name Tenga, but I can't be sure.

I believe it was sent to my grandfather in lieu of a birth certificate when he and my grandmother were married in New York—where he was never anything else but a Tenga!


https://photos.app.goo.gl/QNaemP79gBmVxue18

Thanks again.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Misspelling and translation question

Post by PippoM »

It's a copy of his birth record, to be used as a certificate. And his name, here, is spelled TENCA.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Post Reply