Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
CiaoBella
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Mar 2022, 11:04

Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by CiaoBella »

Hi all,

I was pointed here from https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic?p=325651 where I was discussing genealogy and trying to get some evidence for an Italian citizenship application via descent, as my mother was born in Italy. However, she moved from Italy to Australia as a child in 1966, and has lived in Australia ever since.

I'm unsure if I am going to be eligible for Italian citizenship, as while my mother was born in Italy, she now lives in Australia as a citizen. I am unsure if she still maintains her Italian citizenship or has renounced it - I am assuming this would be a key factor in whether or not I am eligible.

Any clarification is appreciated - thank you!
cedrone
Master
Master
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Feb 2020, 22:01

Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by cedrone »

So it seems your mother arrived to Australia with her parents.


You should find when and in which way she became Australian citizen (If it was before 1992 she should have lost the Italian citizenship) and if you were born before or after her naturalization.

You should look at the website of the Italian consulate competent for your town of residence for the list of documents required.
cedrone
Master
Master
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Feb 2020, 22:01

Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by cedrone »

Addition:
1. You didn't say if you were born in Australia; if not, you were not Australian citizen at birth.
2. If you have or receive Italian citizenship in addition to Australian citizenship, you'll not be allowed to
hold certain elective offices in Australia.
CiaoBella
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Mar 2022, 11:04

Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by CiaoBella »

Thanks very much for your help here, it's along the lines of what I was thinking - I am quite sure she was a citizen of Australia before 1992, meaning that she has probably lost it now and thus lost it before I was born, as I was born in the late 90's in Australia.

Will get in contact with the relevant Italian consulate and see if they're able to provide some help.
User avatar
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42
Location: USA

Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by qualdom »

CiaoBella wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 13:50 Thanks very much for your help here, it's along the lines of what I was thinking - I am quite sure she was a citizen of Australia before 1992, meaning that she has probably lost it now and thus lost it before I was born, as I was born in the late 90's in Australia.

Will get in contact with the relevant Italian consulate and see if they're able to provide some help.
That's the peculiar nature of Italian citizenship. You can have a native-born Italian parent and not be eligible....while some people are eligible when their LIR is a GGGGF.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by mler »

That was the situation with my family. My children were not eligible through my Italian-born husband but were eligible through my gf.
JTSD20
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 Jan 2022, 02:27

Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by JTSD20 »

I can relate to this! My mother was born in Italy. She became naturalized as a minor in 1970, before I was born. Therefore, I don't qualify through my Italian-born mother and have to go through my Great Great Grandmother on my dad's side. I so wish the dual-citizenship law of 1992 could have been retroactive to the Italian constitution or something.
Post Reply