Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Hello I heard of this site through a really good friend and I hope someone can help me out here. My mom and I are researching our family history and we are stuck at a dead end. We know that my greatgrandfather was born in 1879 we believe in Lentini, Italy - Francesco Lipari. We know he came to the US June 8, 1907 where he lived in Omaha, Nebraska for over 30 years before he went back to Italy. We know is wife Maria Cicero came to the US in 1910 to be with him. While in the US they had 3 children (2 sons and 1 daughter) James Lipari, Sam Lipari, Frances Lipari.
The problem we are having is finding out where Francesco Lipari and Maria Cicero were born. We know nothing of Maria Cicero except she was in the US not legally. I know my grandfather never became naturalized because he intended to return to Italy. We do not know when they were married or where. If anyone out there can help thank you so much!!
Steph
The problem we are having is finding out where Francesco Lipari and Maria Cicero were born. We know nothing of Maria Cicero except she was in the US not legally. I know my grandfather never became naturalized because he intended to return to Italy. We do not know when they were married or where. If anyone out there can help thank you so much!!
Steph
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Francesco was born in Lentini or not?
Francesco back inItaly after 30 years or not?
and Maria Cicero.. also back in Italy?
and the children.. remained in USA?
please to explane better, regards, suanj
Francesco back inItaly after 30 years or not?
and Maria Cicero.. also back in Italy?
and the children.. remained in USA?
please to explane better, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
For those wishing to help, here is the manifest...
First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Lipari
Ethnicity: Italian, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Jun 08, 1907
Age at Arrival: 28y 4m Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Calabria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0025
1907 Manifest pg 1
Off to join b-i-l Gaetano Marino in Omaha Nebraska
Manifest states that he was married, this could have been his first trip to USA, his last residence was Lentini... place of birth was Lentini...
-----------------------------------------
First Name: Maria
Last Name: Cicero
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Sentini, Sicily (Lentini)
Date of Arrival: Mar 27, 1910
Age at Arrival: 27y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Duca Degli Abruzzi
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0026
Maria's manifest 1910
1910 page 2
Husband mentioned is Francesco Lipari, father (next of kin) in Italy is Salvatore
Place of birth Lentini....
-------------------------------
First Name: Gaetano
Last Name: Marino
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Lentini
Date of Arrival: Sep 09, 1905
Age at Arrival: 32y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0013
Gaetano's manifest
Off to Omaha, Nebraska
Why are you in doubt?
Maria
First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Lipari
Ethnicity: Italian, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Jun 08, 1907
Age at Arrival: 28y 4m Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Calabria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0025
1907 Manifest pg 1
Off to join b-i-l Gaetano Marino in Omaha Nebraska
Manifest states that he was married, this could have been his first trip to USA, his last residence was Lentini... place of birth was Lentini...
-----------------------------------------
First Name: Maria
Last Name: Cicero
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Sentini, Sicily (Lentini)
Date of Arrival: Mar 27, 1910
Age at Arrival: 27y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Duca Degli Abruzzi
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0026
Maria's manifest 1910
1910 page 2
Husband mentioned is Francesco Lipari, father (next of kin) in Italy is Salvatore
Place of birth Lentini....
-------------------------------
First Name: Gaetano
Last Name: Marino
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Lentini
Date of Arrival: Sep 09, 1905
Age at Arrival: 32y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0013
Gaetano's manifest
Off to Omaha, Nebraska
Why are you in doubt?
Maria
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
I apologize for my message not being better explained. I was doing research and the place was closing so I had to post what I had before I lost the information. I know that Francesco Lipari was born on Jan. 13, 1879 in Lentini, Italy (sicily) his wife Maria Cicero also was born in Lentini but we do not know her birth date. We know that when Francesco Lipari came to America on June 8, 1907 and he traveled with a relative of Maria's. We know that Maria was 27 when she arrived in America on March 27th, 1910. They both arrived at a port in New York City and from there came to Omaha, Nebraska. While living in America we know they changed their names from Francesco to Frank Lipari and from Maria to Mary Lipari.
We know that Francesco lived in Omaha, Nebraska from 1907 to atleast 1931. We know that they did go back to Italy, we just do not know exactly when. While in America they had 3 children (2 sons, 1 daughter) James Lipari, Salvatore Lipari, and Francis Lipari. We know that Francesco, Maria and their daughter Francis returned to Sicily (Italy) and that Francis at some point was living in the providence of Cantania. So, James and Salvatore remained in the America but would travel back to Italy every so many years to see family. James Lipari died aprox. April 5, 1936 in Omaha, Nebraska as far as we know. Salvatore (Sam) went back to Italy every 5 or so years to visit family. We know that my grandfather, Salvatore, owned orchards in Sicily.
We have found Francesco (Frank Lipari) in the 1910, 1920, and 1930 Census.
We found Maria (Mary Lipari) in the 1910, 1920, and 1930 Census.
We have found James, Sam, and Francis in the 1920 and 1930 Census.
We cannot find the birth/death or marriage certificates of Francesco and Maria Lipari anywhere.
If you can help in any way, any advice I greatly appreciate it.
Thank you!
Steph
We know that Francesco lived in Omaha, Nebraska from 1907 to atleast 1931. We know that they did go back to Italy, we just do not know exactly when. While in America they had 3 children (2 sons, 1 daughter) James Lipari, Salvatore Lipari, and Francis Lipari. We know that Francesco, Maria and their daughter Francis returned to Sicily (Italy) and that Francis at some point was living in the providence of Cantania. So, James and Salvatore remained in the America but would travel back to Italy every so many years to see family. James Lipari died aprox. April 5, 1936 in Omaha, Nebraska as far as we know. Salvatore (Sam) went back to Italy every 5 or so years to visit family. We know that my grandfather, Salvatore, owned orchards in Sicily.
We have found Francesco (Frank Lipari) in the 1910, 1920, and 1930 Census.
We found Maria (Mary Lipari) in the 1910, 1920, and 1930 Census.
We have found James, Sam, and Francis in the 1920 and 1930 Census.
We cannot find the birth/death or marriage certificates of Francesco and Maria Lipari anywhere.
If you can help in any way, any advice I greatly appreciate it.
Thank you!
Steph
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Maria, thank you for the information about Maria's father's name. I did not have that information. I have documented that her birth place was Lentini and that her husband was Francesco. I have not yet found her birth date or the date that they were married. I have requested micro-film from the Family history center in Omaha that I hope will have Francesco's birth certificate listed. I do know that the information on the microfilm will be in Italian. That will pose a challenge but I am certainly
up to. But won't be afraid to ask for help.
Thank-you
Stephanie
up to. But won't be afraid to ask for help.
Thank-you
Stephanie
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Stephanie,
Italian research is different from USA research, as few birth, marriage and death records are available online. There is no central registration for these events either. They are recorded in the town or comune in which they occured.
You have identfied the town or origin. That is the first step. Maria has provided the passenger manifests to confirm the town. In order to find any of the events you are looking for you have to go through the microfilm or write to the town and request the documents. I recommend the microfilm when available.
The films aren't that difficult to use. Get a basic Italian word list: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
Some information on BMD records from Mormon site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... h&Year=862
Also Tafford Cole has a book called "Italian Genealogical Records" that has examples of transcribed records. It is my bible for learning Italain records. This site is also fantastic.
Start reading while you are waiting for your films.
Italian research is different from USA research, as few birth, marriage and death records are available online. There is no central registration for these events either. They are recorded in the town or comune in which they occured.
You have identfied the town or origin. That is the first step. Maria has provided the passenger manifests to confirm the town. In order to find any of the events you are looking for you have to go through the microfilm or write to the town and request the documents. I recommend the microfilm when available.
The films aren't that difficult to use. Get a basic Italian word list: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
Some information on BMD records from Mormon site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... h&Year=862
Also Tafford Cole has a book called "Italian Genealogical Records" that has examples of transcribed records. It is my bible for learning Italain records. This site is also fantastic.
Start reading while you are waiting for your films.
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Not sure if you already have this...
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record info
about Francesco Lipari
Name: Francesco Lipari
City: Omaha
County: Douglas
State: Nebraska
Birth Date: 15 Jan 1879
Race: White
Roll: 1711762
Wife mentioned here is Mary
Will be linking a viewable file later.
Maria
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record info
about Francesco Lipari
Name: Francesco Lipari
City: Omaha
County: Douglas
State: Nebraska
Birth Date: 15 Jan 1879
Race: White
Roll: 1711762
Wife mentioned here is Mary
Will be linking a viewable file later.
Maria
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Thank you very much for the WWI draft records we did not have that. I just want to thank you all so much for your advice, help, and information you have given us. Please feel free to add anything, ask me any questions. . . . I appreciate your help so much.
Steph
Steph
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Draft info
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record info
about Francesco Lipari
Name: Francesco Lipari
City: Omaha
County: Douglas
State: Nebraska
Birth Date: 15 Jan 1879
Race: White
Roll: 1711762
---------------------------------------------
What I like best about these draft records are the signatures!
Maria
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record info
about Francesco Lipari
Name: Francesco Lipari
City: Omaha
County: Douglas
State: Nebraska
Birth Date: 15 Jan 1879
Race: White
Roll: 1711762
---------------------------------------------
What I like best about these draft records are the signatures!
Maria
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Manifests of interest.... not sure who Francesco's siblings were...
First Name: Salvatore
Last Name: Lipari
Ethnicity: Italy South
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: May 07, 1909
Age at Arrival: 24y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Lazio
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0005
Page 1
Salvatores father in Italy would be Vincenzo
Page 2
Mentions that he will be joining brother Francesco at no. 5 Davenport St. in Omaha, Nebraska
Maria
First Name: Salvatore
Last Name: Lipari
Ethnicity: Italy South
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: May 07, 1909
Age at Arrival: 24y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Lazio
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0005
Page 1
Salvatores father in Italy would be Vincenzo
Page 2
Mentions that he will be joining brother Francesco at no. 5 Davenport St. in Omaha, Nebraska
Maria
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
I just want to thank everyone for all their help thus far. When my mother and I started our family genealogy we never thought it was going to be this difficult. With all the twists and turns we have encountered and the dead ends we thought we reached, we run across people who are willing to share their experiences, knowledge, and resources. I just want to say again, "Thank You"
Steph
Steph
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
If anyone has any more information, or different places we should look for information please let me know. We are using ancestry, ellis island. Anything helps!
Thanks!
steph
Thanks!
steph
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Hello can anyone help me find the borth date and any other information on Maria Cicero. This is all I have so far for her:
First Name: Maria
Last Name: Cicero
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Sentini, Sicily (Lentini)
Date of Arrival: Mar 27, 1910
Age at Arrival: 27y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Duca Degli Abruzzi
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0026
Thanks!
Steph
First Name: Maria
Last Name: Cicero
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Sentini, Sicily (Lentini)
Date of Arrival: Mar 27, 1910
Age at Arrival: 27y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Duca Degli Abruzzi
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0026
Thanks!
Steph
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Hello,
since Francesco Lipari and Maria Cicero went back to Sicily I suggest you to contact the vital record office of Lentini (Ufficio Anagrafe) where there should be a file where it is recorded where they moved to in the province of Catania
If you contact Lentini civil record Office (Ufficio di Stato Civile) you can request their birth certificate also to know their parents names
Comune
Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza Umberto I, 1
CAP 96016
Lentini (SR)
Italy
Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Umberto I, 1
CAP 96016
Lentini (SR)
Italy
for both addresses try to contact them by this email
servizidemografici@comune.lentini.sr.it
I hope it helps,bye Riccardo
since Francesco Lipari and Maria Cicero went back to Sicily I suggest you to contact the vital record office of Lentini (Ufficio Anagrafe) where there should be a file where it is recorded where they moved to in the province of Catania
If you contact Lentini civil record Office (Ufficio di Stato Civile) you can request their birth certificate also to know their parents names
Comune
Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza Umberto I, 1
CAP 96016
Lentini (SR)
Italy
Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Umberto I, 1
CAP 96016
Lentini (SR)
Italy
for both addresses try to contact them by this email
servizidemografici@comune.lentini.sr.it
I hope it helps,bye Riccardo
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Riccardo thank you for the info. I am going to contact them and see what I can find out. The addresses and the information hopefully will help out, thank you!
steph
steph

