Finding Italian Civil Record Addresses that no longer exist

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
rp76226
Master
Master
Posts: 2130
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 17:00

Finding Italian Civil Record Addresses that no longer exist

Post by rp76226 »

I often find that the civil record address found on an Italian birth, marriage, or death record no longer exists. Sometimes the road exists, but not the house number on the civil record. I would love to use Google Earth and find the exact address on these records in order to get and download photos of the homes where my ancestors lived. Is there a website that can give today's address for roads that no longer exist in Italy?

Ron
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Finding Italian Civil Record Addresses that no longer exist

Post by Italysearcher »

I am afraid not. Comunes change street names and house numbers at random it seems. You would have to get a catastale map to find the lot and that it not easy if you don't know who owns the property now.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
seanrusk1989
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: 01 Mar 2022, 01:08

Re: Finding Italian Civil Record Addresses that no longer exist

Post by seanrusk1989 »

You might want to consider reaching out to the Ministry of Culture for the comune. I had the exact same question about a road in Pedara, Catania, and I emailed the public office and they replied to me about a week later with a report attached explaining the name change of the road in question. It couldn't hurt to reach out!
cedrone
Master
Master
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Feb 2020, 22:01

Re: Finding Italian Civil Record Addresses that no longer exist

Post by cedrone »

I think it's difficult.
You may try to ask the 'Ufficio Tecnico' of the Comune that should have the old maps.
Asking the change of name of the street seems easy, but to compare the numbers to know the present number I don't know if they will do it.
Consider also that the house may be no longer existing and in its place there may be one new, unless you refer to the center of a town with old buildings .
User avatar
rp76226
Master
Master
Posts: 2130
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 17:00

Re: Finding Italian Civil Record Addresses that no longer exist

Post by rp76226 »

Thanks for your insights.

Ron
Post Reply