Opinions needed on major discrepancies in records, and help getting certified/official Italian records for ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
SpeedDemonND
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 27 Jun 2022, 06:56

Opinions needed on major discrepancies in records, and help getting certified/official Italian records for ancestors

Post by SpeedDemonND »

You can skip to the last two paragraphs for the important question I’m after if you don’t want to be bothered with this novel I’m writing (apologies, but there is a lot of info that is confusing so links and explanations are important).

After doing a great bit of searching trying to find my great-grandfather in Ancestry and FamilySearch Italian records, I believe there is a discrepancy written in the records in regards to the names of his parents, which has caused me great confusion.

There are two different people named Giuseppe Apuzzo (the name of my great-grandfather) born within a year of each other in the same town in Italy. There is a marriage record for Giuseppe Apuzzo marrying a Maria Giuseppa di Maio (which is my great-grandmother’s name) listing Giuseppe’s parents’ names, seen here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... T-2S2&i=72

The birth record for what I assume is this same Giuseppe (let’s refer to him as Giuseppe #1) lists the same set of parents, and has an annotation noting his marriage (listing the same wife, date, and entry number of the actual marriage record I just linked to) that is crossed out with a giant X, seen here (bottom entry, right page, but annotation and X are on the next page): https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-3D7K-2

The birth record for the other Giuseppe, let’s call him Giuseppe #2, lists a different set of parents. He also has an annotation listing his marriage, listing the same info as in Giuseppe #1’s annotation (same wife, date, and entry number), which also matches the actual marriage record, but this is NOT crossed out. You can see that here (middle entry on left page): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1482813

I have also found Giuseppe’s wife, Maria Giuseppa di Maio’s birth record (middle column right page): https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-3DH7-C

It lists the same parents as in her marriage record, and this also has an annotation noting her marriage to Giuseppe Apuzzo, listing the same info in the annotations of the other Giuseppe’s birth records, which also matches the actual marriage record.

I believe Giuseppe #2 is actually my ancestor, and Giuseppe #1 is another person, and the names of Giuseppe’s parents in his marriage record are recorded incorrectly, listing the parents of the other Giuseppe rather than my ancestor.

Adding to this is a death record for what appears to be Giuseppe #1, seen here (top entry): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1482813

This lists the same parents in Giuseppe #1’s birth record, as well as the marriage record, but it states “celibe,” indicating he is not married (and this is 3 years after the marriage record of Giuseppe and Maria Giuseppa di Maio).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find an immigration record for Giuseppe yet (or at least one I can confirm is him), but do have one for his wife, which is a month before this Giuseppe’s death record, indicating the names in the marriage record must be wrong.
Here is the link (lines 7-9): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AJXDK-SNP

Her manifest says she’s coming to see her husband named Apuzzo (no first name is given) at a Wallace Street (although it states New York, it is really New Haven, CT), where I have been able to track Giuseppe for a number of years through the Census and city directories. From what else I can gather, it seems a Luigi and Vincenza (the names listed in Giuseppe #2’s birth record) also seem to be living on Wallace Street with/nearby Giuseppe once they come over years later.

I have found what I am 99.9% sure is the grave of my great-grandparents, where it lists Giuseppe and Maria G on their footstones. They are buried in the same plot as three others (what appear to be Giuseppe’s brother, sister-in-law, and nephew), and from what I can trace, those three seem to relate to Luigi and Vincenza being Giuseppe’s parents (which are the parents’ names in Giuseppe #2’s birth record, but not the marriage record).

So to me, it seems that the Giuseppe’s marriage record has listed the wrong parents, and instead wrote the names of the other Giuseppe’s parents. I’m not sure how such critical information like this could be written incorrectly, but given everything I have (the crossed out annotation, the death record, passenger manifest of his wife, and Census and city directory listings, gravesite) seem to indicate the names were written incorrectly.

Am I crazy, or no? Is there a way I can get an official copy of this marriage record (which will hopefully have the correct names listed) that would be different from the records posted to Ancestry and FamilySearch, which I believe to be written incorrectly? And do you think that information will actually be different? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My great-grandfather was born in, and married in Castellammare di Stabia, Naples, Campania, Italy.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Opinions needed on major discrepancies in records, and help getting certified/official Italian records for ancestors

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

No, you are not crazy, but you have missed something very important in Giuseppe and Maria Giuseppa's marriage record.

In the marriage record Giuseppe's mother's name has been corrected. The incorrect name of "Maria Filosa" has been underlined and there is a sign (like a cross) above the name Maria (slightly to the left). If you scroll down fifteen lines you will see towards the end of that line another exact sign/cross and next to it is written "dico Vincenza Imparata" so yes, the second birth record is the correct one and the marriage record has been corrected and is official.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Opinions needed on major discrepancies in records, and help getting certified/official Italian records for ancestors

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Read my previous post here.

(I would say that what must have taken place was that initially the incorrect birth record was presented.)

Edit to Add: Giuseppe - Immigration: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... A6ZPV-C2NW

Unfortunately I can only clearly read what has been indexed. The actual document is poor quality.

Angela
SpeedDemonND
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 27 Jun 2022, 06:56

Re: Opinions needed on major discrepancies in records, and help getting certified/official Italian records for ancestors

Post by SpeedDemonND »

Angela, I can’t possibly thank you enough for the help!

I feel silly because I actually did notice that cross near Maria Filosa’s name, and didn’t think anything of it, and also completely missed it near the bottom indicating the mother’s real name, even though I have looked over the record several times. Ugh, lesson learned to be more diligent next time.

Also, thank you for Giuseppe’s immigration record. I honestly can’t thank you enough. I can finally move forward with this side of my tree!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Opinions needed on major discrepancies in records, and help getting certified/official Italian records for ancestors

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

SpeedDemonND wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 22:29 Angela, I can’t possibly thank you enough for the help!

I feel silly because I actually did notice that cross near Maria Filosa’s name, and didn’t think anything of it, and also completely missed it near the bottom indicating the mother’s real name, even though I have looked over the record several times. Ugh, lesson learned to be more diligent next time.

Also, thank you for Giuseppe’s immigration record. I honestly can’t thank you enough. I can finally move forward with this side of my tree!


My pleasure!!! You are very welcome for the help and I can see how the correction may have been missed, especially if you are not use to seeing this type of correction in Italian records. I'm so pleased that you are now able to move forward with your research. Best to you.

Angela
Post Reply