Hi guys,
I have to laugh to keep from crying. I received my long-awaited USCIS docs for my 2x great grandpa. They sent me a cover letter and the three pages that they deemed pertinent for my use. Of the three pages, only the naturalization certificate is new to me (the other docs I have officially from NARA and they look good).
The naturalization certificate is so damn blurry. I can barely read his, his wife’s and his children’s names. Atop this janky piece of paper is typed “Best available copy.” I’ve emailed a scan to my ICA rep but I don’t see how the judge is going to accept this.
I can’t believe I waited a whole year from this. I just had to vent to others in a place where people understand the stakes. I’ve paid the first few thousand dollar installment for ICA as well as hundreds for vital records. I’m just at a loss right now.
I waited one year for USCIS docs and they are so blurry! Are they un-useable?
Re: I waited one year for USCIS docs and they are so blurry! Are they un-useable?
This is a common complaint regarding documents from the USCIS genealogy program.JTSD20 wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 03:26 Hi guys,
I have to laugh to keep from crying. I received my long-awaited USCIS docs for my 2x great grandpa. They sent me a cover letter and the three pages that they deemed pertinent for my use. Of the three pages, only the naturalization certificate is new to me (the other docs I have officially from NARA and they look good).
The naturalization certificate is so damn blurry. I can barely read his, his wife’s and his children’s names. Atop this janky piece of paper is typed “Best available copy.” I’ve emailed a scan to my ICA rep but I don’t see how the judge is going to accept this.
I can’t believe I waited a whole year from this. I just had to vent to others in a place where people understand the stakes. I’ve paid the first few thousand dollar installment for ICA as well as hundreds for vital records. I’m just at a loss right now.
Someone mentioned once on tapatalk that a person had success reaching out to their congressional representative who was able to force USCIS to produce a better quality copy.....but who knows how long that would take or if it would even be successful.
Re: I waited one year for USCIS docs and they are so blurry! Are they un-useable?
Hi Qualdom,
Thank you for the information. My ICA rep also just confirmed that blurry copies are very common. She seemed to be happy with the documents and told me not to worry so that’s a relief! It was just kind of a let down after an entire year of anticipation. But if my ICA rep is happy then I’m happy lol.
Thank you for the information. My ICA rep also just confirmed that blurry copies are very common. She seemed to be happy with the documents and told me not to worry so that’s a relief! It was just kind of a let down after an entire year of anticipation. But if my ICA rep is happy then I’m happy lol.
Re: I waited one year for USCIS docs and they are so blurry! Are they un-useable?
I'm glad to hear that your ICA rep was happy. I requested the records from USCIS almost 1 year ago so hopefully I will receive something soon.JTSD20 wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 18:27 Hi Qualdom,
Thank you for the information. My ICA rep also just confirmed that blurry copies are very common. She seemed to be happy with the documents and told me not to worry so that’s a relief! It was just kind of a let down after an entire year of anticipation. But if my ICA rep is happy then I’m happy lol.
Did the ICA rep say that you would need to get an apostille for the USCIS docs?
Re: I waited one year for USCIS docs and they are so blurry! Are they un-useable?
Hi Qualdom,
I hope yours arrive soon! I submitted mine on 8/24/21 and my case was marked closed on 8/24/22. I received them yesterday, 9/6/22. My ICA rep did mention an apostille. She said, “even if there is no official seal the document will be apostilled as it is by the US Department of State.” I had read somewhere that they don’t apostille these anymore but maybe I’m wrong. And also what if I send these docs somewhere for an apostille and the envelope gets lost? Since you even have to retain the envelope, I am so nervous to lose anything since it took so long to obtain.
I hope yours arrive soon! I submitted mine on 8/24/21 and my case was marked closed on 8/24/22. I received them yesterday, 9/6/22. My ICA rep did mention an apostille. She said, “even if there is no official seal the document will be apostilled as it is by the US Department of State.” I had read somewhere that they don’t apostille these anymore but maybe I’m wrong. And also what if I send these docs somewhere for an apostille and the envelope gets lost? Since you even have to retain the envelope, I am so nervous to lose anything since it took so long to obtain.

