I am trying to find my great-grandfather's birth certificate and information about his family in Italy.
Here is the information I know about him:
Name: Francesco Angelo (Frank) Bordiga
Birth: 28 Oct 1887 in Cuneo, Piemonte, Italy (most likely in Caraglio)
Death: Nov 1975
Arrival in America: 3rd or 4th of October 1902
Marriage: 22 September 1910 to Giuseppina/Josephine Beretta in Manhattan, New York, USA
Children: Louis Bordiga (1911-1965), Carlo Bordiga (1920-2008), Gilda Rose Bordiga (1922-2013), Mary/Maryann/Marion Bordiga (1925-?)
Known Relatives: Giuseppe/Joseph Bordiga (1879-?), father named Giovanni, wife is Giuseppina Beretta
Possible Naturalisation: 15 January 1924 at the New York County Supreme Court
Occupation: Carpenter / Artist
Here is the information I know about Frank's Wife:
Name: Giuseppina/Josphine Frances/Francesca Beretta (some docs list as Francesca as her first name but everyone called her Giuseppina)
Birth: 3 March 1889 in Italy in Villadeati, Alessandria, Italy
Death: August 1987 in Aurora, Colorado, USA
Arrival in America: November, 1906 and/or December 1914
Known Relatives: father is Aniceto Beretta, mother is Maria/Marietta (last name is difficult to read, might be Massano), lived with a woman named Antinarella at some point but nobody can remember if she was a relative or a friend
Naturalisation: none
Frank lived with his relative for much of his life. I believe Joe was his brother but there's a small possibility he was his cousin. He is listed as a brother on a few documents
Here is what I know about Joseph:
Name: Giuseppa Bordiga
Birth: 6 March 1879 in Caraglio, Cuneo, Piemonte, Italy
Children: Rosa (1905-?), Andrew (1908-?), Arthur (1909-?)
Known relatives: Wife is Rosetta/Rose Demo Bordiga (1881-?)
My primary wish is to find Frank's birth certificate as me and my mother are hoping to apply for Italian citizenship and move there in a few years. I have tried to contact commune in Cuneo but there was a bit of a language barrier issue and I could not figure out what their response meant. Thus unfortunately the only records I have been able to find are in English and I have not had much luck finding his vital records in Italy. I would be very grateful if anyone had any recommendations for how to research vital records in Italy or how to locate his birth certificate.
Additionally, I am also very interested in learning more about my great grandparents' family history in Italy. Especially on my great grandfathers side as he died when my mother was young and Josepina didn't tell my mother very many stories about when he was younger. Although of course it would be very lovely to find more information on Josepina's family as well.
Looking for birth certificate for Bordiga as well as family history
-
chrysanthemum
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 14 May 2021, 18:38
Re: Looking for birth certificate for Bordiga as well as family history
Caraglio has a facebook page. Maybe you can make contact there for help.
There are no online records for the town that I can find.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=105996756098325
T.
There are no online records for the town that I can find.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=105996756098325
T.
Re: Looking for birth certificate for Bordiga as well as family history
In my opinion, it would be faster and safer to contact directly the "Ufficio Stato Civile" of Caraglio by e-mail.Tessa78 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 17:05 Caraglio has a facebook page. Maybe you can make contact there for help.
There are no online records for the town that I can find.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=105996756098325
T.
http://www.comune.caraglio.cn.it/Home/U ... icio=18008.
Re: Looking for birth certificate for Bordiga as well as family history
arturo.c wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 06:57In my opinion, it would be faster and safer to contact directly the "Ufficio Stato Civile" of Caraglio by e-mail.Tessa78 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 17:05 Caraglio has a facebook page. Maybe you can make contact there for help.
There are no online records for the town that I can find.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=105996756098325
T.
http://www.comune.caraglio.cn.it/Home/U ... icio=18008.
I believe the poster has already tried to contact the comune.
T.I have tried to contact commune in Cuneo but there was a bit of a language barrier issue and I could not figure out what their response meant.
-
PeteBordiga
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 09 Jul 2022, 01:44
Re: Looking for birth certificate for Bordiga as well as family history
Hello! We are looking for the same information. My husband is the grandson of Francesco Bordiga and the son of Carl Bordiga. What have you found? Have you traveled to Caraglio? We would love to connect with you.
Patty and Pete Bordiga
Patty and Pete Bordiga
-
chrysanthemum
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 14 May 2021, 18:38
Re: Looking for birth certificate for Bordiga as well as family history
Hi Patty and Pete!
I actually found his birth certificate successfully! I have not traveled there and I am still in the process of compiling a lot of this information, its very labor intensive.
Is there some way I could get in contact with you safely so that I can verify who you are and then maybe we can exchange information? I feel a bit nervous about posting my email on a public forum so I created a temporary email that I will use only for this and delete after I hear from you. If you get this you can email me at crm145280@gmail.com.
Hope to hear from you
I actually found his birth certificate successfully! I have not traveled there and I am still in the process of compiling a lot of this information, its very labor intensive.
Is there some way I could get in contact with you safely so that I can verify who you are and then maybe we can exchange information? I feel a bit nervous about posting my email on a public forum so I created a temporary email that I will use only for this and delete after I hear from you. If you get this you can email me at crm145280@gmail.com.
Hope to hear from you

