Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
I have a photograph (attached) of my great-great-grandfather's grave. He was from Bitetto, Puglia though my mother's recollection was that the grave might be in Bari. I emailed the main cemetery there and they were unable to find a record for him. I've emailed various email addresses in Bitetto with no response yet. I'm going to be in Bitetto at the end of December and would like to find the grave. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching the Gruppuso family in Calatafimi, Loverro family in Bitetto, Manno family in Palermo.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
Since Italians are usually buried within 24 hours the grave is most likely in the town where he died.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
Have you contacted this one?
From the site of the Comune di Bitetto:
Dirigente: Dott.ssa Rosa Campanale
Referente: Dott. Arcangelo Raffaele Carbone
Indirizzo: Viale Ippolito Pindemonte
Telefono: 0809921777
Email: protocollo.bitetto@pec.egovba.it
Email: affarigenerali@comune.bitetto.ba.it (this one, specifying that the email is for the "Ufficio Cimitero")
From the site of the Comune di Bitetto:
Dirigente: Dott.ssa Rosa Campanale
Referente: Dott. Arcangelo Raffaele Carbone
Indirizzo: Viale Ippolito Pindemonte
Telefono: 0809921777
Email: protocollo.bitetto@pec.egovba.it
Email: affarigenerali@comune.bitetto.ba.it (this one, specifying that the email is for the "Ufficio Cimitero")
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
Thank you, Pippo. I tried the first address but now I will try the second as I didn't find that myself.
Ann, I appreciate the information. That would certainly make Bitetto more likely. I was given some information today regarding Italian cemeteries and apparently most people, unless the families had money (which mine did not) would only rent a burial plot for 10-30 years and the bodies would be exhumed and buried elsewhere in the cemetery. This leads me to believe that the monument won't exist any longer but I would hope there would still be records of the burial having taken place.
Ann, I appreciate the information. That would certainly make Bitetto more likely. I was given some information today regarding Italian cemeteries and apparently most people, unless the families had money (which mine did not) would only rent a burial plot for 10-30 years and the bodies would be exhumed and buried elsewhere in the cemetery. This leads me to believe that the monument won't exist any longer but I would hope there would still be records of the burial having taken place.
Researching the Gruppuso family in Calatafimi, Loverro family in Bitetto, Manno family in Palermo.
Re: Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
https://www.antenati.san.beniculturali. ... 70/LanYgby
Giuseppe Loverro died 22 Mar 1931 in Bitetto, age 75, son of Antonio (deceased) & Domenica Giordano (deceased), widower of Pasqua Marcario
Giuseppe Loverro died 22 Mar 1931 in Bitetto, age 75, son of Antonio (deceased) & Domenica Giordano (deceased), widower of Pasqua Marcario
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
Re: Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
Thank you for the death record, rlw. That's very considerate of you to find it.
Researching the Gruppuso family in Calatafimi, Loverro family in Bitetto, Manno family in Palermo.
Re: Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
I think that kind of funeral monument (the one in the picture) is kept for at least 99 years.cgruppuso wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 02:25 I was given some information today regarding Italian cemeteries and apparently most people, unless the families had money (which mine did not) would only rent a burial plot for 10-30 years and the bodies would be exhumed and buried elsewhere in the cemetery. This leads me to believe that the monument won't exist any longer but I would hope there would still be records of the burial having taken place.
What you say is true if they are buried in the bare land.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
Ah, thank you, that gives me hope. I'm hoping that the monument is in Bitetto but from the photos/google maps I've seen, I'm not sure the cemetery there has the buildings seen in the background of the photo. My mother also recalled that the grave was in Bari so I may go to the main cemetery there even though I was told there was no record of the grave.
Researching the Gruppuso family in Calatafimi, Loverro family in Bitetto, Manno family in Palermo.
Re: Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
Thanks to everyone for advice. I finally received an email from Bitetto and they said the grave is there.
Researching the Gruppuso family in Calatafimi, Loverro family in Bitetto, Manno family in Palermo.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Finding a gravesite in Bitetto/Bari
Have you sent the photo to some cemeteries for identification? They may recognize the buildling in the back.
