1906 Immigration Record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

1906 Immigration Record

Post by darkerhorse »

I'm interested in the family on lines 27-29.

Can you read the address their joining? It looks like Fulton St. but I can't make out the numbers. Is it S. Fulton?

Also, what does the note(s) say about health and who does it refer to?
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: 1906 Immigration Record

Post by erudita74 »

Can you please provide a link to the record?

Thanks
Erudita
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: 1906 Immigration Record

Post by darkerhorse »

Also, would her name be Teresa Francesca or Francesca Teresa?

Seems they were detained but I can't make out the details.

https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/imagevi ... 4034812145

https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/imagevi ... 4034812231
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: 1906 Immigration Record

Post by erudita74 »

Sorry but I don't have a subscription to ancestry.com and can't view the ship records from the links. What ship is it? Exact date of arrival and where?
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: 1906 Immigration Record

Post by darkerhorse »

S.S. Montserrat arrived on December 6, 1906 in New York. Passenger record, Lines 27-29: Teresa Francesca Caiazza and sons Raefele Guarino and Giovanni Guarino. There's also a detention record.

I'm unable to attach any files for this topic.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: 1906 Immigration Record

Post by darkerhorse »

Correction: arrived December 11, 1906.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: 1906 Immigration Record

Post by erudita74 »

the address on the detainee list for Teresa is 246 Fulton. I know there was a Fulton St and Fulton Place in Brooklyn on 1910 census records but don't know if there was an East or West. Also I believe Teresa was her first name and Francesca her middle name.

I also don't think the detention was due to the medical conditions listed on the passenger list itself. On that list, by Teresa's name it says "inflammation due to periosteum swelling," I believe. That's supposedly a chronic condition caused by impact or injury. Next to the son below, it says something about a deformed nose, I believe, from an old injury. But on the detainee list, it just lists husband and not a cause for detention, so I believe he just wasn't at the port when his wife and children arrived to meet them there and that was the reason they were detained.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: 1906 Immigration Record

Post by darkerhorse »

Sounds right.
User avatar
parkergambino
Elite
Elite
Posts: 327
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 17:28

Re: 1906 Immigration Record

Post by parkergambino »

The ship manifests on FamilySearch usually have the superior image:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AJF6C-GMF

I read the address as 2443 Fulton Street. Fulton Street in Brooklyn is a major east-west thoroughfare, whose address numbers go up at least that high. From the Google Maps street view, it looks like there is no longer a building at that address. Are you famliar with the early 1940's real estate photos of NYC properties?

This ship had a separate second manifest sheet that dealt only with detainees:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704

Such sheets do not necessarily show up in the indexing services of the various genealogy sites. This one gives an address in Brooklyn (246? Fulton) that differs from the first reference. Here likewise, Google Street view shows no trace of buildings from that era.

Another possibly useful note about this manifest. The markings next to Raffaele's name ending in "4-21-36" may be related to his naturalization record. I can't say for sure, as I'm not well versed in tracking these things back; but many naturalization documents include a check of the actual immigration arrival of the applicant, and these manifest markings (most likely a date) may be the cross-reference residue of this search.

I do not have time to do a thorough search right now. Hopefully this information can point you in the right directions. I'll check back when I can shake loose some free time.

Parker
Post Reply